I’m pretty sure I could eat sweet potatoes every day and never get tired of them. Baked, mashed, fried as tots, any way you eat them, they are delicious! And my kids love them…so… bonus! They are a perfect side to so many things! I especially love them with BBQ. We had these the other night to go along with one of my son’s favorite dinners, BBQ boneless ribs.
I love to make my sweet potatoes either savory or spicy. Just something a little different or unexpected. These are no exception with the addition of sage which offsets the sweetness of the potato perfectly! Oh, and the addition of butter and a little cream don’t hurt anything either 🙂
And of course these are super easy to make and won’t take up much time at all. I just used dried herbs which saved me any last minute trips to the store. If you have fresh sage I’m sure it would be even that much more awesome. I really wish I had an herb garden and could just go out and pick out what herbs we needed for dinner that night. Unfortunately I don’t seem to have much of a green thumb.
These would make a great side to any holiday dinner. I’m thinking of making these for Easter as a little something different. And they are great when you are cooking a big dinner for a crowd. You just pop them in early in the day and let them cook. Then when you get around to it you can mash them up super quick and then leave them in the crock while you make the other food. They are not demanding at all!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup cream
- Peel sweet potatoes and cut into large chunks
- Place in crock and cover with water
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until potatoes are fork tender
- Drain water and return potatoes to crock
- Add butter, salt, sage and garlic powder and a small amount of the cream
- Beat with a hand mixer (or potato masher if you prefer) and slowly add the rest of the cream as you mix until they are to your desired consistency
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!