Want to eat more veggies like cabbage but not sure if you'll like it? This slow cooker recipe is perfect for you! Cabbage is a delicious, healthy vegetable that can be cooked in many different ways. In this healthy recipe, I will show you how to make slow cooker cabbage that is tender and flavorful and that the whole family will love.
Why eat cabbage?
Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including Vitamin C, iron, calcium, magnesium, and potassium. It also contains sulfur compounds that are said to help ward off cancer. Eating cabbage can also help improve digestion as a great source of dietary fiber.
About this recipe
This recipe is one of my favorite recipes and is designed to be cooked in a slow cooker or crock pot. Making sides in the slow cooker is a great way to simplify dinner time even more. Slow cooking cabbage is such a simple way to create a delicious side dish.
I've added some much-loved ingredients to this cabbage recipe to ensure it appeals to everyone! The bacon will add flavor and the chicken bone broth will add protein as well as liquid, which helps keep the cabbage from drying out. The mustard, garlic, and paprika also provide an interesting depth of flavor that give this dish a unique taste.
This recipe could be a good option for people on special diets as it is both dairy-free and gluten-free.
Cabbage - To get the best results from your slow cooker cabbage, start by choosing a medium-sized whole head of cabbage that is firm and free from blemishes. Remove the outer leaves, rinse the cabbage thoroughly, and cut it into wedges or strips.
bacon - Use good quality bacon and cook it up nice and crispy! It will lend so much flavor to the cabbage to make it appealing to even the picky eaters.
Yellow onion - Dice the onion before adding it to the slow cooker with your cabbage and other ingredients.
Garlic - For ease use jarred minced garlic instead of fresh garlic
Stone Ground Mustard - a type of mustard that is made by grinding the mustard seeds and mixing them with a liquid to create a paste. This process produces a more natural, rustic flavor than other types of mustard.
Chicken Bone Broth - This broth will add moisture as well as protein, making it more filling and nutritious.
Smoked Paprika - Adding smoked paprika to this recipe will give the cabbage an interesting depth of flavor.
How to make cabbage in the slow cooker
1. Start by preheating a large skillet and adding the bacon and onion. Cook until the bacon is crispy and the chopped onions are lightly browned.
2. Cut your cabbage in half, remove the core, and then cut into large pieces about 1 ½ - 2 inches square.
3. Place the cabbage in a slow cooker and top with the cooked bacon and onions. Be sure to get all the bacon grease added to the slow cooker as well for extra flavor.
4. Whisk together the mustard, broth, and paprika and pour it over the cabbage.
5. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours until tender.
6. Stir in salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Q: How do I know when the cabbage is ready?
A: You'll know it's done when the cabbage is tender and easily pierced with a fork.
Q: Can I substitute vegetable broth for the chicken bone broth?
A: Yes, you can use vegetable broth in place of chicken bone broth if desired.
Q: Can I use pre-shredded cabbage?
A: I don't recommend it for this recipe as it will likely become overcooked and the texture will not be pleasant.
Q: Can I keep leftovers?
A: Yes, you can store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to four days.
Q: Can I use red cabbage?
A: Green cabbage works best in this recipe
Q: What is the cooking time on low?
A: If you prefer to cook this dish on low, cook for 4-6 hours.
Q: Can I add more seasonings?
A: Yes! If you'd like to add more seasonings a good all purpose seasoning like Italian seasoning would be delicious. Onion powder or garlic powder would also be good options.
What if cabbage doesn't agree with me
If you have trouble digesting cabbage but want to add it to your diet then start by eating small amounts at a time with plenty of water. Soon you'll be able to add more veggies to your diet without the uncomfortable digestive issues.
Serve this cabbage with:
Tender cabbage pairs well with so many different easy recipes and is an excellent side dish to serve with weeknight dinners.
For a main dish recipe with cabbage, try my slow cooker beef and cabbage that utilizes ground beef and tomato sauce for a hearty meal.
With this easy slow cooker cabbage recipe, you can easily enjoy the health benefits of cabbage without sacrificing flavor! It's sure to be a hit with the whole family! Enjoy!
Enjoy your slow cooker cabbage and let me know in the comments below how it turned out. If you have any other tips or suggestions, I'd love to hear them!
Slow Cooker Cabbage
- 6 oz bacon
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons stone ground mustard
- ¼ cup chicken bone broth
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop bacon into bite sized pieces and add to preheated skillet
- Cook until bacon just starts to brown and add diced onion
- Continue cooking until bacon is crispy and onions are lightly browned
- Cut cabbage in half and remove core, then cut into large pieces about 1 ½ - 2 inches square
- Add to slow cooker and top with bacon and onions
- Whisk together mustard, broth and paprika and pour over cabbage
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours until tender
- Stir and salt and pepper to taste