Because homemade is so much better than canned! And this simple Slow Cooker Chicken Corn Chowder is so easy, it's barely any more work! Packed with sweet corn and real cream, try this satisfying soup today!
I'm pretty sure I made my favorite Corn and Potato Chowder recipe about 17,000 times last winter and never once got tired of it or wished I had something different.
However, after having people ask me several times for a version with meat, I decided to try something new after all! I switched up my old recipe a bit, left out the potatoes, added some chicken and made a few minor adjustments.
This version is creamy, tasty and even more hearty with the addition of chicken! Easy to make in your slow cooker for a great family dinner.
- use a high quality frozen corn for best results since corn is a bit of a star here
- feel free to use chicken breasts or thighs, whatever you have on hand
- cream is also known as heavy whipping cream
Optional but delicious? Top servings with cooked and crumbled bacon.
How to Make Chicken Corn Chowder in the Slow Cooker:
- Add all ingredients except the broth to your slow cooker
- Toss well to coat everything in a thin layer of flour
- Slowly pour in the broth while mixing to prevent clumps
- Let simmer and thicken all day
Try this try simple trick, it makes the Chicken Corn Chowder out of this world!
- Simply melt a little butter and brown the chicken before adding to your slow cooker.
- Even though you are going to shred it later, it gives the chicken great flavor and texture that makes the soup that much better.
- Want to make this step super easy with no extra clean-up? Use a multi-cooker that lets you brown the meat right in the slow cooker!
Winter has a long way to go! Grab your slow cooker and make delicious soups to keep you nice and warm!
Slow Cooker Chicken and Corn Chowder
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- 1 pound thin sliced boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 16 oz frozen sweet corn kernels
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream for later
- salt for later
- 4 slices bacon cooked crispy (for later), optional
- fresh chives for garnish optional
- Optional step: melt butter in skillet over medium to high heat until really hot and bubbly (or in multi cooker)
- Optional step: Sprinkle chicken lightly with salt and pepper
- Optional step: Place in skillet and let brown on each side for 2-3 minutes to get a golden crust
- Transfer to slow cooker
- Add corn
- Sprinkle chicken and corn with flour, onion powder, garlic powder and thyme and toss to coat evenly
- Slowly add broth while stirring so that it doesn't clump
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken with forks then stir in cream
- Taste and add salt as needed (start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste, I used about 1 teaspoon)
- Return to high heat and let warm through for about 15 minutes
- Serve garnished with crumbled bacon and chives or as desired