Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup is a simple and delicious comfort food that is topped with crispy tater tots or Texas toast croutons for a winning meal! This tasty dish will soon be a family favorite!
Whether it's back to school for the kids, perfect fall temps in the early mornings, a cold winter day or the middle of summer soup in the slow cooker is a good idea. I'd have to say the best time of year is when you're slow cooking and especially, making Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup!
You won't believe how simple this recipe is to make and how filling it is to satisfy even the hungriest of appetites! Although, be prepared, it's so tasty that you may just scoop up bowl after bowl until your stomach is so full you can't eat another bite! That's what we did at our house and sadly had no leftovers. Next time, double batch!
It's a quick and easy recipe that has added veggies for extra nutrition and can be prepped ahead for easy work on busy days.
- Use a lean ground beef for best results
- chicken broth or chicken stock is best for this recipe as beef broth would create an odd and salty flavor
- you can use fat free half and half, regular half and half or even give a dairy free option like Silk Cream a try
How to Make Cheeseburger Soup:
The largest amount of work involved is in browning up the ground beef and chopping the carrots and celery. The rest practically cooks itself.
Everything gets added to the slow cooker to simmer all day.
Stir well to ensure everything is smooth and combined before serving.
When I created this recipe it was important to me was that it was not only delicious, but that it actually tasted like a cheeseburger. And I'm here to tell you, it really does!
Tips for Making Cheeseburger Soup:
- Plenty of fresh shredded cheese. I used Colby jack cheese in this recipe.
- Use the right seasoning. I absolutely love using McCormick's Pub Burger seasoning when I make actual burgers, so for me it was the obvious choice for the soup. Use whatever burger seasoning is your favorite!
- Get the ingredients in your slow cooker, set it and forget it. My favorite way to make the prep of soups like this even easier is to use my multi-cooker! Brown meat and cook all in one pot and save time and clean-up.
Now, I did add some carrots and celery, which are obviously not a typical part of burger prep, but I find them to be a good sub since you won't likely be adding lettuce and tomato but want to pack some veggie nutrition here. They don't have an overwhelming flavor in the soup but add just what you need to get a nice texture in a hearty soup like this.
- To make it easy on myself, and quite honestly to entice my 6 year old tater tot addict to eat, I chose to make some tater tot crowns, so simple and delicious.
- You can simply top with shredded cheese and scallions.
- Try cutting up some burger buns, toasting them up and sprinkling on top of this cheeseburger soup. Perfect!
Just go with what works best for you here. Either way, I'm placing a pretty strong bet you will love this soup as much as we did.
Can I Freeze this Soup?
Yes! Make ahead by browning and cooling ground beef. Add all ingredients to a freezer bag or freezer safe container and refrigerate up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
Thaw before cooking.
Love this Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup? Try these equally simple and delicious slow cooker soups!
Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
- 1 pound ground beef
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup diced celery
- 2 teaspoons burger seasoning
- 8 oz shredded Colby jack cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese
- ¼ cup Fat free half and half
- 1 package frozen tater tots (crowns or regular)
- Cook ground beef until no longer pink
- Drain as needed and add to slow cooker
- Mix flour with ¼ cup of the broth until smooth and add to slow cooker
- Add remaining broth along with diced carrots and celery, seasoning, cheese, cream cheese and half and half
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Stir to combine well until cheeses are smooth
- Cook tater tots according to package directions
- Top soup with additional cheese if desired and tater tots