If you love this classic favorite soup from a restaurant then you will love making your own at home! Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana is packed full of juicy sausage, tender potatoes and tons of flavor!
What is zuppa toscana?
Some say Zuppa Toscana is a soup that originated from the region of Italy known as Tuscany. Some say it’s a “tuscan inspired” soup that originated from a popular Italian restaurant chain. Even though it may not necessarily be traditional Italian fare, this Zuppa Toscana is a hearty soup that uses the Italian spice palate. It’s made with sausage, bacon, and veggies that simmer in a cream base.
Is Zuppa Toscana gluten-free? Yep! It sure is!
Can you make substitutions for any of the veggies? You can substitute some defrosted frozen spinach for the kale if you prefer the taste.
What’s the quickest way to prep ingredients for Zuppa Toscana? If you enjoy eating soups and make them often, I recommend getting yourself a multi-cooker.
What’s a multi-cooker? A multi-cooker is a handy-dandy kitchen appliance that allows you to use one pot to cook in more than 10 different ways. You can brown meat in the same pot that the soup simmers in. Simply put the meat in, brown it, then toss in the other ingredients and switch the cooking mode.
How can I make my Zuppa Toscana thicker? Easy! Simply whisk 2 tablespoons of cornstarch or flour with 2 tablespoons of water. Then, add that mixture to the soup and stir. Heat the soup for an additional 30 minutes on high. Your soup with thicken up nicely without sacrificing flavor.
What should I serve with Zuppa Toscana? As with most soups, a hearty side salad usually does the trick! Try one of these: Wedge Salad with Herbed Buttermilk Dressing, Orzo Salad, or Blueberry Salad. Your dinner is sure to be a true crowd-pleaser!
If you like Zuppa Toscana, give some of my other soups a try!
- Sausage and Potato Soup
- Chicken and Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Chicken Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Chowder
- Slow Cooker Cheeseburger Soup
Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana
- 1 pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 pound Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- Red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper
- 1 cup frozen kale
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 pieces thick cut cooked bacon chopped
- Salt and pepper
- Add ground sausage to multi cooker or skillet over medium high heat and cook through
- Transfer to slow cooker
- Scrub and dice potatoes and add to slow cooker along with diced onion, garlic and red pepper flakes
- Add kale and chicken broth and cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Stir in cream, cooked bacon and salt and pepper to taste