Ah, that long stretch of winter that seems to go on forever, cold and dark, and still too far away to hope for spring break. What can make it better? Lot’s of cozy, hot and delicious soups, that’s what!
This Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Soup is just what you need to brighten up those dark winter days!
If you are looking for a hearty soup to please even the biggest of appetites, look no further than this soup filled with flavorful sausage, potatoes and corn, along with heavy cream.
This is a take on my very favorite Slow Cooker Corn and Potato Chowder but it goes the extra mile by adding sausage.
Tip: You can cook up the sausage ahead of time. I sautéed my sausage up the day before when I already had a pan out on the stove
Or, if you have one you can use a multi-cooker and make everything right in the same pot.
How to make this soup:
- sauté some ground breakfast sausage and drain if needed
- add to slow cooker along with everything else except the cream
- let cook until potatoes are tender
- Add cream and heat through
- I like to use Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, because they hold their shape nicely and have a firmer texture. If you prefer, you can use russet potatoes, which will break down and be more grainy and will thicken the soup more
- choose a frozen sweet corn for best results – I love the brand you can get at Aldi the best
- top soup with shredded cheese, crushed chips, fresh chopped herbs or as desired
More recipes you may love:
Slow Cooker Sausage and Potato Chowder
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1 pound gold potatoes
- 16 oz frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Brown ground sausage in skillet over medium high heat or in multi-cooker until fully cooked. Drain any excess grease.
- Wash and dice potatoes into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker along with cooked sausage
- Add corn, seasonings and vegetable broth
- Whisk together flour with 1/4 cup water until smooth and add to slow cooker
- Stir everything to combine then cover and cook on high for 3-4 hour or low for 6-8 until potatoes are tender
- Stir in cream and let heat though another 15 minutes or so
- I prefer Yukon gold potatoes for this recipe, but you could also use russet if you prefer them to break down and thicken the soup
- leftovers can be stored in fridge up to 3 days tightly covered. I don't recommend freezing this recipe