My mind has been working in all sorts of weird ways these days. Like every meal idea that pops into my head makes me wonder “can that be done in the crockpot?”. More often then not the answer is yes. Except for, well, I can’t even think of anything at the moment! But then there are those moments where I start making something I’ve been making for years and it’s more like a slap my forehead with my hand/why haven’t I been making it in the crockpot all along!
I’ve been making this recipe from Tyler Florence for as long as I can remember, making my own adaptations along the way. Pretty much everyone who has walked though my door for dinner any number of times has had this at least one. Whether they like it or not 😉 Hopefully they like it…I think they do! At least that’s what they tell me! And now I have an even easier way to have this cooking away while I have more fun chatting with my guests or even just hanging out with my family.
I use frozen sweet corn to keep it simple and you can change it up a bit depending on what kind of potatoes you use. Almost any kind will work it just depends on the texture you prefer! A regular russet potato will break down and make your soup thicker and be a little more mashed up. Red potatoes hold their shape a little more and are super yummy. My favorite of all is to use some gold or baby dutch potatoes! They are nice and creamy with a little bite and while they are softened they don’t get mushy, even after cooking in the crock all day.
I just love the flavor of thyme in this soup. In my opinion it really makes it go from ok to amazing. If you don’t like thyme I think you could sub out something like rosemary or an Italian seasoning blend but really, thyme is totally the way to go.
Let the potatoes, corn and broth simmer all day with the spices. Then come home and add in a cup of heavy cream and you will be in soup heaven. Yes, an entire cup of cream. I never said this was low-cal, but I did say it was yummy!! Hits the spot every time!
Need a slow cooker to use for this recipe? Here is the one I bought and have been using all year and love! Perfect for chili or meat or most any recipe and comes in several sizes. I use the 4 quart for most of my meals.
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
- 1 pound potatoes ((red, white or gold - your choice))
- 16 ounces bag frozen sweet corn kernels
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme ((depending on how much of the flavor you like))
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons butter (for later)
- 1 cup heavy cream (for later)
- salt and pepper (for later)
- chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Place potatoes and frozen corn in crock
- Add flour and toss with vegetables to coat evenly
- Add garlic powder, onion powder, thyme and broth
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 until potatoes are fork tender
- Add butter and cream and stir to combine until butter is melted and cream is warmed
- Add salt and pepper to taste after cream has been added (I used about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper)
- Garnish with parsley if desired and serve
Recipe adapted from Tyler Florence
Need more soup?
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!