If you typically turn your nose up at the words turkey chili, be prepared to have your socks knocked off! This Slow Cooker Spicy Turkey Chili is fantastic (and it doesn’t hurt that prep time is literally minutes).
Whether you are hunkered down for a long cold spell or just wanting a quick and tasty dinner that will add a little spice, this Slow Cooker Turkey Chili is the perfect dinner for you.
Making chili in the slow cooker is the perfect solution. It keeps prep time to a minimum but also allows for the chili to simmer all day, which makes the flavor even better.
This chili is hearty, filled with peppers, tomatoes, and corn and you can add as much or as little broth as you like depending on how you like to serve your chili.
- jalapeños – I like to remove the seeds, but this is up to you. You can add more or less jalapeño to taste and could even add some bell peppers if desired
- chipotle powder (aka chipotle chili powder) can be found at most supermarkets
- diced tomatoes – I like using fire-roasted as the smoky flavor pairs well with the smoky chipotle powder
- The only thing you will need to cook is the ground turkey. Make it ahead and freeze if desired, or cook the day of. To save a cleaning step, make it in a multi-cooker.
- The only chopping needed is the jalapeños, so you could chop them the night before if you wanted to and have everything ready to dump in the slow cooker in the morning.
Important Recipe Notes:
- You control the spiciness with the jalapeños and the chipotle chili powder. I left out the seeds from the peppers and used 1/2 teaspoon of chipotle powder for more of a mild spiciness. Want more? Add some of the seeds. Increase the chipotle.
- I left out beans. You could add some if you like. Beans just aren’t my favorite, but if you like them they will just enhance the heartiness of this chili even more
- Add the seasonings to the ground turkey while you are cooking it. It really flavors the meat which just makes the whole chili taste so much better.
If you love chili, make sure you read my How to Freeze Chili post.
Like prepping ahead of time. Make my easy homemade chili seasoning.
Slow Cooker Spicy Turkey Chili
- 1 pound ground turkey (93% lean preferred)
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (more or less depending on spice lever)
- 8 oz frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 cans (14.5oz each) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Heat skillet over medium high heat
- Add ground turkey and start to brown, breaking apart with spatula
- Remove ribs and seeds from jalapeños (if desired, leave in for more heat) and dice
- Add diced jalapeños to skillet with turkey and add all dried spices
- Stir well and continue to cook until turkey is browned and jalapeños are beginning to soften
- Add contents to slow cooker along with corn, tomatoes and broth
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 (can cook on low for up to 8 hours)
- Serve with cheese and sour cream or as desired
- remove ribs and seeds from jalapeños unless you want it really spicy
- leftovers freeze well in airtight containers for up to 3 months
- adjust chipotle powder depending on spice level desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!