Just 5 minutes of prep time and you'll be able to recreate one of your family's favorite take-out dishes at home! This Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken is great for a quick weeknight meal or even prepping up some healthy lunches for the week.
What is Mongolian Chicken?
What is Mongolian Chicken? Mongolian Chicken is traditionally a dish made with mild flavors and minimal spices. It has a sweet and savory taste. However, you can spice it up by adding more Sriracha.
Is this a traditional Chinese dish? This recipe for Mongolian Chicken is not traditional. Rather, it's intended to be a quick and easy dinner created from ingredients you already have on hand.
Is Mongolian Chicken a one-pot meal? It could be! Just add some veggies like broccoli while cooking and you'll have a complete meal.
How do I keep my brown sugar from hardening? If you are like me and don't use a lot of brown sugar, make sure you get a brown sugar bear to keep in your container so it's fresh when are ready to use it.
What is a brown sugar bear? A brown sugar bear is a clay disk that you place inside your container of brown sugar for the purpose of maintaining just the right moisture balance so your sugar doesn't harden.
When do I shred the chicken? Shred the chicken when the dish is done cooking to the consistency and texture you prefer. It should easily shred between two forks. If it does not shred easily, it needs to cook longer.
Is this recipe good for meal prep? Yes, it is! Just add all of the ingredients to a freezer bag and label it. When you're ready to make your Mongolian Chicken, simply dump the contents of the bag into your slow cooker and go about your day.
Does Mongolian Chicken freeze well? Absolutely! Once it's cooked, Mongolian Chicken freezes very well. Just make sure you put it in an airtight container and you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Why did my sauce burn? Because of the sugar content and the thickened sauce Mongolian Chicken will tend to burn around the edges a bit in your slow cooker. I recommend not leaving it on warm for a long period of time while you're waiting to serve it.
How do I serve Mongolian Chicken? Mongolian Chicken is best served on a bed of rice. Here are a few of my favorite rice dishes that can be made in an Instant Pot: Instant Pot Brown Rice, Instant Pot Jasmine Rice, and Instant Pot Basmati Rice.
- Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- Slow Cooker Coconut Milk Chicken
- Freezer Meal Teriyaki Chicken
- Slow Cooker Butter Chicken
Slow Cooker Mongolian Chicken
- 1 ½ pounds chicken breasts
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ¼ cup of chicken broth
- ¼ cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of jarred minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon of corn starch
- ½ bunch green onions
- Add chicken breasts to slow cooker
- Whisk together soy sauce, chicken broth, sugar, garlic, ginger and Sriracha
- In a separate small bowl whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the soy sauce mixture
- Pour over chicken in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until fork tender
- Remove meat and shred with fork or if using skirt steak
- Add onions and let cook for about 15-20 more minutes
- Serve with steamed rice or as desired
- Thicken sauce even more if desired by pouring into a small saucepan and bringing to a simmer for 5-7 minutes.