No need to waste money eating out! This Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef is so easy to make, so fresh and so much better than take-out!
Whenever I need an ego boost, which essentially involves making a meal that my family will not only eat, but rave about, it usually means making an Asian style dish. Anyone else show love through food? When it makes the people I’m feeding happy, I’m happy. That includes anyone reading the blog and making the recipes, by the way. And since I’ve gone through about a bazillion (or maybe more like 5-7) chicken recipes, I decided to go for a beef recipe this time. Because one of the most common dishes we order when we go out for Chinese food is Mongolian Beef, I decided it’s about time I created a Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef recipe for us to make at home!
Of course, to make Mongolian Beef, you’ve got to start out with some form of steak! I chose to use a skirt steak (a little non-traditional) but you could also use a flank steak which is basically a very similar cut of meat.
I made my sauce a tad spicy because that’s how the people in my family prefer it. You could certainly leave out some of the Sriracha if you want to go more mild. That’s one of the reasons I enjoy this recipe so much, is because you can adapt it to whoever you are serving.
Add some fresh green onions and your favorite rice (ours is jasmine) and you have a great meal ready to serve to family or friends. Make a little extra if you like to have leftovers. This keeps and reheats pretty well. Such a simple meal but one that’s sure to get many rave reviews.
Reasons to make your own take-out style food at home:
- It’s fun!! Recreating your favorite dishes can be a break from boring dinners.
- It’s healthier since you control the ingredients
- It saves money because take out can get really expensive
And for fun, grab some chopsticks to keep on hand for all your take-out, fake-out adventures!
Slow Cooker Mongolian Beef
- 1 1/2 pounds of skirt steak
- 1/4 cup of soy sauce
- 1/4 cup of beef broth
- 1/4 cup of dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon of jarred minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon of Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon of corn starch
- 1/2 bunch green onions
- Add skirt steak to slow cooker
- Whisk together soy sauce, beef broth, sugar, garlic, ginger and Sriracha
- In a separate small bowl whisk the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the soy sauce mixture
- Pour over beef in slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours until fork tender
- Remove meat and shred with fork or if using skirt steak you can slice it across the grain for maximum tenderness
- Add onions and let cook for about 15-20 more minutes
- Serve with steamed rice or as desired
Craving more take-out style dishes you can make at home?
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!