Forget marinating and grilling, for the best Greek chicken use your slow cooker instead! This Greek Chicken is packed with flavor from shallots, roasted red peppers and more and comes together in minutes to slow cook all day.
What’s so great about Greek chicken?
What is Greek Chicken? Greek Chicken is a Mediterranean inspired dish that typically involves marinating the chicken and then grilling it. My Slow Cooker Greek Chicken is so much easier! Using your slow cooker to prepare the chicken, you’ll seal in flavor and juiciness with minimal prep time.
What is Greek seasoning blend made of? Mediterranean dishes tend to use a similar spice palate, consisting of, but not limited to, oregano, dill, parsley, marjoram and thyme. Using a spice blend saves time and creates less work.
What are kalamata olives? Kalamata olives differ from their black counterparts in appearance and taste. While they share the same sharp “bite” as black olives, kalamata olives have a sweet and fruity taste. They’re almond-shaped and purple-red insead of the black oval-shaped olives typically seen on salad bars and appetizer trays.
Why do I need to use sun dried tomatoes? Sun dried tomatoes will add a tangy, sweet flavor to your Slow Cooker Greek Chicken. Their chewiness will also add some texture to your meal.
Should I brown my chicken? Yes! For best flavor and presentation, it’s preferable to take the time to brown the chicken before cooking in the slow cooker. If you prefer not to, I would suggest cutting chicken into bite sized pieces instead.
Why are my chicken breasts dry? If your chicken breasts get dry or tough in the slow cooker, be sure to cook them on low instead of high.
Can I make any substitutions when I make Slow Cooker Greek Chicken? Sure! If you prefer, you can substitute jarred tomatoes for dried sun dried tomatoes. You can also sub white wine for chicken broth. White wine will add an acidity and complexity to the flavor of your Slow Cooker Greek Chicken that broth does not.
What should I serve with my Slow Cooker Greek Chicken? Slow Cooker Greek Chicken tastes great paired with rice, in a pita, or on a salad. It’s also delicious served with sauteed veggies such as zucchini. It’s a great way to add extra veggies to your families meal time!
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon greek seasoning blend
- 1 tablespoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 shallot peeled and sliced
- 1 jar roasted red peppers drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- fresh lemon herbs and goat cheese for garnish
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat
- Sprinkle chicken evenly with seasoning
- Add to skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until just browned but not cooked through
- Transfer to slow cooker and add garlic, shallot, peppers, olives and tomatoes
- Top with wine
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Garnish with a squeeze of fresh lemon, fresh chopped herbs and crumbled goat cheese
Sub white wine for chicken broth if desired
Cook chicken breasts on low if they get dry or tough in slow cooker.
Use jarred or dried sun dried tomatoes