The weather this week? Spectacular!! 58 degrees for our morning runs?!! I’m soaking it all in! As much as I love so many things about summer this is really making me start dreaming of fall. And soon we will be dreaming of all the traditional fall foods in the slow cooker. But it seems this is just a teaser. We will be back to a full blast heat furnace of summer this weekend. But no matter your weather…. I’ve got a delicious slow cooker summer recipe for you here! I mean cheese? Salsa? What could be more summer? AND it’s not a snack! It’s dinner!
I think next time I will make a double batch of this. I would have loved to have leftovers to eat for lunch. Every day for an entire week. Maybe a triple batch! There was not one little itty bitty scrap of chicken or dribble of sauce left. We scraped the crock so clean we didn’t even have to wash it (we washed it!). I mean I figured I would like it, it was my idea to make it after all. But my ideas don’t always gel with what my family likes. This time it was a home run!
You can make this as spicy or not spicy as all as you want. I went with not spicy at all since our house tends to be divided boy/girl on whether we like spicy. Girls won. So I just used a little sauce from the can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce and mild salsa. Crank up the heat by adding spicier salsa or blending up one or more of the peppers from the can into your sauce.
I think you could go as spicy as you dare here since it all gets cooled down a little at the end with the creamy homemade cheese sauce. Which I know sounds like, ugh…extra work. But I promise it’s easy, takes only about 10 minutes and is totally worth it. The taste of freshly melted cheese always wins hands down over anything you can get from a box.
You will also notice I used bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts here. I like the fact that they stay so juicy and tender in the crock and since we are not adding a lot of liquid I think this is the way to go. Once the chicken has cooked all day and is practically falling apart it is super easy to remove the skin and bones. You will be left with chicken that is so yummy it will be worth the effort!
Slow Cooker Cheesy Adobo Chicken
- 1 pound or a little more chicken breasts (bone-in, skin on)
- 1/2 cup salsa use something you really like
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce from a can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- For cheese sauce:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cups freshly shredded cheese I used sharp cheddar and monterey jack
- Mix together salsa and adobo sauce
- If more spice is desired, add salsa, sauce and 1-2 peppers to blender and blend until just smooth
- Add to crock
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours (recommended) or high for 3-4
- Once chicken is done remove from crock
- Using forks remove the skin and pull the meat off the bones (careful, it will be hot!)
- Shred the chicken and make sure there are no remaining bones
- Return to liquid in crock and let it sit while preparing cheese
- Right before serving melt 1 butter in small saucepan over medium high heat
- Add flour and whisk for 1 minute
- Slowly add milk while whisking to ensure no lumps form
- Keep whisking for 3-4 minutes until sauce thickens
- Remove from heat and using a spoon stir in cheese until melted and smooth
- Add cheese to crock and stir well
- Serve with rice, tortillas or as desired
Need more summertime flavors?