If you're into fresh meals from a bowl then this is made for you! Utilize your slow cooker to do the hard work of cooking up delicious juicy chicken and then add all your fresh ingredients for a simple bowl meal with all the flavor.
The perfect summer meal bowl...
It's amazing how a simple slow cooker chicken recipe can so easily turn into this delicious meal. Layer up a bowl of rice with juicy flavorful chicken, sweet caramelized peaches, crispy corn salsa with fresh tomatoes and zesty jalapeños. Then be sure to top it all off with some sour cream and cilantro for the perfectly customized meal.
If you've ever thought you couldn't utilize your slow cooker to create a fresh and healthy meal, then read on. This meal can be made ahead for quick and easy meal prep for busy weeks.
Chicken - I prefer boneless skinless chicken breast for this recipe but boneless skinless chicken thighs would work as well
BBQ sauce - I prefer a lower sugar option for best results in the slow cooker to prevent burning
Peach preserves - just like with the BBQ sauce, chose a no sugar added option
Rice - I love the flavor of basmati rice cooked in my rice cooker but you could do any rice you prefer including instant rice or microwavable packets to make it quick and easy
Peaches - fresh sliced will work best, peeling them is totally optional
How to prepare these bowls...
You might be thinking with all that these bowls have going on that they are just too complicated, so let's go through how easy they are.
- first you'll want to start the chicken in the slow cooker by simply mixing together the BBQ sauce, preserves and chopped jalapeños and pouring over chicken and let it cook
- prepare rice in a rice cooker or on the stove (or even use a microwavable option)
- prepare the corn salsa and refrigerate - I like to make a day in advance
- caramelize the peaches right when the chicken is done cooking
Tips for a simple bowl meal...
Prepare the corn salsa and rice in advance so that you have less work to do on meal day.
Set out ingredients separately and let everyone assemble their own bowls with their favorite toppings.
Serve on salad greens instead of rice for a lower carb meal.
Slow Cooker Peach Jalapeño Chicken Bowls
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- ½ cup peach preserves all natural, no sugar added preferred
- ½ jalapeño pepper seeded and finely diced
- 2 ripe peaches sliced ¼ inch thick (skin removed if desired)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
For serving, optional:
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- corn salsa
- crumbled goat cheese
- Additional cilantro for garnish optional
- Slice avocado optional
- sour cream
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Whisk together sauce, preserves and jalapeños
- Pour half over chicken and reserve remaining in fridge
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with forks
- Add remaining BBQ a little at a time until you have the amount of sauce you desire on the chicken
- Discard cooking liquid and return chicken to slow cooker to keep warm, if desired
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat (preferably not non-stick)
- Add peaches and let cook for about 2-3 minutes
- Sprinkle with brown sugar and stir to coat
- Make sure to flip peaches once to cook evenly on each side until nicely browned and softened but watch them closely so that they don't burn or get mushy. They should take about 6-7 minutes total.
- Serve bowls with rice, chicken, salsa, peaches, sour cream and goat cheese
- nutrition information includes rice and corn salsa, but none of the additional topping options
- if prepping ahead be sure to package ingredients that will remain cold separate from those that will be reheated
- leftovers will store tightly covered in refrigerator for up to 3 days