Believe me when I tell you this is not your average Slow Cooker Potato Soup! Take every baked potato topping you can dream of and pair it with some creamy goodness and you have a match made in heaven. This Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is bound to be a dinner time win!
This soup has just taken over the status of my go to soup for the next several months (at least)! In fact, I've already made it a few times and my kids are already asking for it again, it is the best. And considering how easy it is to make and what a hearty and filling meal it is, their wishes are sure to be fulfilled. I mean, twist my arm and force me to eat a creamy soup with all the flavors of my favorite baked potato. Add some fresh bread or some salad on the side, and I'm pretty much set!
What do you like on your baked potatoes? Try these different variations for the perfect addition to this Loaded Baked Potato Soup!
- Crumbled turkey bacon, shredded cheese and some fresh chopped green onion
- Sour cream would also be a delicious addition with a drizzle on top or stirred in the soup
- You could even do some oven roasted broccoli to bulk up on veggies
- Add some spicy pepper or just a handful of your favorite chopped herbs
Can I freeze soup with potatoes in it?
While this is a great recipe, please don't freeze it! Potatoes will turn black if you freeze them so prepare this potato soup on the day you will be serving it.
How do you make baked potato soup that is lightened up?
I certainly would not proclaim this loaded baked potato soup healthy, I will say I found some ways to lighten it up a bit without sacrificing any flavor. The key is making the base of the soup a broth base rather than a dairy base and thickening it up with a bit of flour (or cornstarch). This is also the key to creating a cream based soup that won't get weird or separated in the slow cooker. When it's done you just add a little cream and you'll never know the difference!
While we have already established this Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup is the perfect week night dinner, it is equally as perfect for entertaining because it is so quick and easy! It would be so fun to set up a topping bar and let everyone customize their bowl!
Try this Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup next time you need to feed a crowd! It would be perfect for:
- A game watching party
- Casual Dinner Parties
- Birthday Parties or Family Get-Together's
What soups are you looking forward to slow cooking this fall? If potato soup is your thing try this or this? Both are delicious and quick and easy! If you make one of my recipes be sure to snap a pic, post it on social media and hashtag it #slowcookergourmet so that I can see your creations!!!
Slow Cooker Loaded Baked Potato Soup
- 2 pounds russet potatoes
- 3 ½ cups broth
- ¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon dried dill
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 slices turkey bacon (cooked and crumbled)
- ¼ cup green onions (chopped)
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut potatoes into cubes and add to slow cooker along with broth
- Mix flour with ¼ cup water until smooth and add to broth
- Add seasonings and salt and stir to combine
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours or high for 2-4 until potatoes are tender
- Stir in cream and add additional salt or seasonings to taste
- Top soup with crumbled bacon, green onions and cheese or as desired