Do you want an easy and delicious dinner that you can make in your slow cooker? Look no further than this chicken enchilada soup! This soup is simple to make and it tastes fantastic. You will love the combination of flavors in this dish. Plus, it is a simple yet hearty meal that your whole family will enjoy.
There are many benefits to making chicken enchilada soup in the slow cooker. First, it's so easy to make. You just need a few simple ingredients and you can put everything in the slow cooker and let it cook. This is a great meal for those busy nights when you don’t have time to cook dinner from scratch.
Second, this soup tastes so good. The combination of flavors in this dish are simple but tasty. And third, it is a very hearty meal that will fill you up and keep you satisfied. So if you are looking for an easy and delicious dinner idea, give this chicken enchilada soup a try!
This soup is a great way to warm up on a cold winter night or the perfect meal to end a busy day.
chicken - often I like boneless skinless chicken thighs because of the flavor, but for this recipe I actually prefer boneless skinless chicken breasts instead.
black beans - these beans are full of protein, fiber and antioxidants. I like the heartier texture of black beans for a recipe like this rather than a softer bean like pintos.
fire-roasted diced tomatoes - canned tomatoes usually have a richer flavor than fresh tomatoes since they’ve been cooked down and concentrated. This makes them ideal for dishes where you want a robust tomato flavor, such as in soups, stews, and sauces.
enchilada sauce - choose one you love! You can make my homemade recipe to have one hand, or buy store bought. I like to watch out for brands that use seed oils and lots of sugar.
dried spices - I use a variety of dried spices in addition to the enchilada sauce to add even more flavor to this soup. I added garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, ancho chili powder and dried cilantro
corn - frozen sweet corn is easy and adds a nice contrast of flavor and crunch to this soup.
fresh baby tomatoes - optional but if you have them throw them in for some sweet flavor.
chicken broth - you can use regular broth, stock or bone broth (my personal favorite)
whipped cream cheese - just use as much as you want to cut the spice and acidity and add some creamy flavor. Whipped cream cheese will blend easier than regular.
How to make this soup
The beauty of this soup is that the steps are really simple.
- You could chop the chicken and add it to the slow cooker or you can add it whole and shred it after cooking (I prefer the latter option).
- Add chicken and all other ingredients to the slow cooker and let it cook all day until chicken is cooked through. Shred chicken right in slow cooker.
- Stir in the cream cheese until smooth and serve.
These are my favorite slow cooker meals because no extra dishes are needed!
Swaps and substitutions
- try boneless skinless chicken thighs in place of the breasts for additional flavor, just beware they will add a bit of grease to the dish with the extra fat content
- omit beans or swap them for pinto beans if you don't like black beans
- if you don't like fire-roasted tomatoes, you can use plain diced tomatoes. If you don't like tomato chunks, you can use crushed tomatoes
- If you use regular cream cheese in place of whipped you'll want to bring it to room temp
- You can shred the chicken right in the slow cooker if you like to save extra dishes, but I prefer to remove it to a bowl and grab two forks and shred it that way. You could also remove it to a larger bowl and use a hand mixer to shred it finely if preferred.
- Depending on the brand of enchilada sauce you use and your preferred level of spice you may need to adjust the seasonings a bit. Taste the sauce before adding it and adjust as needed. you can always add more spices later.
- You could easily add extra veggies to this soup if you want to up the nutrition. Zucchini and peppers would be great options.
- For even more added nutrition use bone broth instead of regular stock or broth.
Toppings for this soup
Some of my favorite toppings or mix-ins for this soup are:
- crushed tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- fresh chopped cilantro
- diced green chilis
If you'd like a thicker consistency you can add more cream cheese or you can use pinto beans instead of black beans and mash some of them down. You could also make a slurry from cornstarch and stir it in.
I don't find this to be spicy, but it does have a bit of a kick. If you'd prefer it to be less spicy, ensure you are using an enchilada sauce that is mild and you can cut back or omit the chili powder.
Yes! Add all ingredients except broth and cream cheese to a freezer bag and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freezer. Thaw before cooking and add to slow cooker along with broth.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat to serve.
Find more delicious slow cooker recipes!
Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 10 oz homemade enchilada sauce (or store bought)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (if store bought sauce)
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder (IF you used store bought sauce)
- ½ teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 10 oz baby tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4-8 oz whipped cream cheese (depending on creaminess desired)
- Add all ingredients except cream cheese to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken in slow cooker
- Stir in cream cheese until smooth and let heat through on high for another 15-30 minutes
- Stir again well to combine before serving