This is something I’ve wanted to try for a while now, but popping open a jar of sauce has just always seemed so much simpler so I never even bothered. But now I know. Making your own enchilada sauce is insanely easy. It can totally be make in a sauce pan on the stove, but just for fun I made it in the slow cooker instead and it was just that much easier (read: lazy girl who doesn’t want to stir)! Just add the ingredients and walk away! My world has just changed a little and will now include a whole lot more homemade sauce.
Make a single, double or even a quadruple batch and freeze! Then you will have all sorts of sauce ready to go for all sorts of easy meals. Like these Slow Cooker Mushroom and Spinach Enchiladas (sneak peek!) that I will share with you tomorrow!
Don’t get me wrong, I still have my favorite go-to store bought sauces that will be staying the line-up (Hello, Trader Joe’s!!) but now I have yet another way to make a simple and totally customizable sauce for so many more recipes!
So what do you think? Easier to stick with popping open a can, or worth the effort to make homemade? I hope you will give it a try!
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 8 oz can roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch + 3 tablespoons water whisked to a smooth paste
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours for low for 4-6 or until sauce has reached desired thickness
- Use immediately or cool and place in zipper bags or airtight containers and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 6 months
Recipe makes about three cups of sauce.
I cooked this on high for 2 hours in my 2 quart slow cooker
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!