Sorry if this just looks like a big blob of cheese and sauce and… wait, why is that bad? Melty cheesy goodness with rich homemade ancho chili enchilada sauce smothered all over your favorite corn tortillas that just happened to be stuffed all nice and full with buttery mushrooms and spinach? I can’t really see the bad in this at all!
And I do also apologize if I’ve been on a sort of Tex-Mex, Southwestern style food kick lately. I tend to cook what I crave and share what I cook, so there you go! Not seeing too many down sides here!
I mean, mushroom sautéed in butter? Stuffed into enchiladas? Need I say more?
Time to slow cook your way to cheesy enchilada goodness!
- 5 tablespoons butter divided
- 1 pound baby bella mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 oz baby spinach
- 1 cup whipped cream cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
- 12 corn tortillas warmed slightly
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- sour cream and fresh cilantro to garnish optional
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium high heat
- Add mushrooms and sauté for 3-6 minutes until mushrooms are tender and slightly browned
- Stir in garlic powder, cumin, cilantro and salt until mushrooms are evenly coated
- Stir in spinach until wilted
- Remove from heat and stir in cream cheese and goat cheese
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray
- In bottom of slow cooker add 1/4 - 1/2 cup sauce and spread it evenly
- Add about 1/4 cup of filling in each tortilla and roll
- Place seam side down in slow cooker and repeat until all of tortillas/filling is used
- Cover with remaining sauce and cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6.
- Serve enchiladas with sour cream and cilantro, or as desired
This recipe is perfect for the Slow Cooker Casserole Slow Cooker but will also work in a regular (4 qt or larger) slow cooker. You may have to layer the enchiladas or you could just lay out the tortillas on the bottom and top more like a casserole.
Want more melty cheese recipes?
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!