Well, I’m starting to feel like the start of fall has actually arrived around here. Only 55 degrees yesterday afternoon which required me to wear a sweater when out running errands so I think that pretty well seals the deal. Now, I pretty much use my slow cooker year round, but I know for many of you the true kick off for slow cooker season is the switch to cooler temps. And what better way to kick it off (or keep it going) than with this Southwest flavor-inspired chicken that cooks in the slow cooker right along with the rice.
I’ve played around quite a lot with making rice in the slow cooker and I’ve recently found my new favorite method. I’ve found that sautéing the rice for just a few minutes helps it hold up to the amount of time it takes in the slow cooker without losing it’s usual texture. I use my multi-cooker to do it all in one pan.
I also strongly promote using bone-in and skin-on chicken thighs. It’s the right flavor and texture to go with these intense spices and you won’t be sorry you tried it!
Now the only question is… what veggie will you make as your side? Green beans, brussels sprouts, a side salad… I guess pretty much anything green would be my suggestion!
Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken and RicePrint Pin Rate
- 4 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon southwest seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon southwest seasoning
- 8 oz can roasted garlic tomato sauce
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Sprinkle skin side of chicken well with 1 tablespoon of southwest seasoning
- Melt butter and oil in skillet (or multi cooker) over medium to high heat
- Add chicken skin side down and let sizzle for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is nicely browned. Don't move while it's cooking to keep the chicken in good contact with the pan for a nice brown crust.
- Remove chicken from pan and add rice to remaining oil/butter in pan
- Saute while stirring for 2-3 minutes until rice is just lightly toasted
- Add rice to slow cooker along with onion powder, garlic powder and 1 teaspoon of southwest seasoning
- Stir in tomato sauce and chicken broth
- Add chicken on top skin side up
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 or until chicken is fully cooked through
- Remove chicken and stir rice well
- If rice is not fully cooked you may add another 1/2 cup water or broth and continue to cook on high for another 15-30 minutes
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Can’t get enough of that Southwest Flavor? How about these chicken drumsticks?!
Or even these chicken sandwiches?
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!