I’m rarely a fan of sandwiches, but these? I could eat them all day! My son actually declared it his new favorite meal. We were all hooked and actually didn’t even end up with any leftovers. Even though I probably made enough for at least 6 people. None of us could stop eating. And the nice part is, these were extremely easy to make!! Only 3 ingredients in the slow cooker and a simple 6 ingredient slaw. You totally have time to impress your family by making this meal.
At some point I had apparently decided a huge 5 pound package of chicken breasts was a sensible purchase. The ending to that story is we’ve been eating a whole lot of chicken lately. But it’s actually turned out to be a very good thing. I guess I love a challenge and I also hate boring food. Turning a boring chicken breast into a delicious meal can certainly be a challenge but I think I’ve found a new favorites and I hope you will all love them too!]
Let’s not forget to talk about the coleslaw here for a minute too. If you buy the little bags of pre shredded cabbage then this is just a total cinch to make. And with jalapeños and sweet corn it complements the smokey chicken perfectly.
Top it all of with a little drizzle of BBQ sauce and a few crispy fried onions for the best sandwich you’ve had in a very long time (possibly ever?!). Give it a try and let me know if you agree!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3/4 cup fresh salsa (the kind you get in the produce/deli area, or make your own recipe!)
- 1 tablespoon southwest seasoning blend
- 10 oz package angel hair shredded coleslaw
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels thawed
- 3 jalapeños diced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1 cup crispy fried onions
- 10 slider buns
- bbq to drizzle optional
- Place chicken in slow cooker
- Sprinkle with seasoning and top with salsa
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 or until chicken is cooked through
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with forks
- Add as much juice as you like from the slow cooker to the chicken then discard any remaining
- Return chicken to slow cooker to keep warm, if desired
- Mix coleslaw by tossing cabbage, jalapeños, and corn in a bowl
- Whisk together mayo, vinegar, sugar, and cilantro and toss into cabbage mixture, coating evenly
- Refrigerate until ready to serve (can be made the night before)
- Serve chicken on slider buns topped with coleslaw, crispy onions and bbq sauce or as desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!