Nothing earth shattering here, but we all need some good basic, solid recipes to keep in our rotation, don’t you think? Especially when they involve making the entire dinner in one slow cooker! If you read my blog often, it’s no secret to you that I just love herbs! And what better to go with chicken, potatoes and veggies than herbs?! This makes for a fresh tasting, delicious and satisfying meal that pretty much everyone can find something to love about it.
Did I mention all in one slow cooker? Whole meal done? Nothing else to do? Such a wonderful feeling when you don’t have anything to do once you’re home other than pull out the plates and get some drinks.
Plus, this is really pretty easy to prepare as well. You do want to brown up your chicken a bit in a skillet but it only takes a few minutes. Everything then just goes right in the slow cooker and you drizzle the delicious herb butter right on top.
I used my casserole crock to spread everything out but it’s fine to layer everything in a regular slow cooker too. I suggest putting the veggies on bottom, drizzling them with the herb butter, then adding the chicken on top.
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in skin-on chicken breasts (about 4)
- 8 oz package baby carrots
- 1 1/2 pounds red skinned potatoes washed and quartered
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley
- salt & pepper to taste
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium high to high heat in a large heavy bottomed skillet
- Sprinkle skin side of chicken breasts with thyme, rosemary, oregano, and sage (and a pinch of salt & pepper to taste)
- Once butter is melted and bubbling in skillet (nice and hot!) add chicken breasts skin/seasoned side down
- Let cook without moving for 4-6 minutes until nicely browned
- Remove from heat and transfer to slow cooker, skin side up
- Push chicken to one side of slow cooker and add veggies on other side
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in microwave for 30 seconds
- Stir in dill and parsley
- Pour over veggies in slow cooker, add additional salt and pepper if desired
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is cooked through and veggies are tender
I cooked this on high in my 3.5 quart casserole crock for 3 1/2 hours.