A simple to make Mexican style chicken is a must have in any recipe rotation. And making it in the slow cooker? Obviously a given. I love having great base recipes that leave me with lots of options and this one fits that bill for sure. You could certainly customize it to your liking by adding more spices or switching up the style of chili powder you use, but I prefer this one with the smokiness of fire-roasted tomatoes and ancho chili powder. And my number one favorite meal? You guessed it, Slow Cooker Smothered Chicken Burritos. I mean, what’s not delicious smothered in cheese?!
The ingredients are few and can easily be assembled and stored in a freezer bag ahead of time to use on a busy day.
Once the chicken is fully cooked simply shred and you have delicious meat ready to use for dinner!
I added mine to some burrito sized flour tortillas, brushed with a little oil and baked just long enough to let them get a bit crispy. While that was happening I made a quick cheese sauce. Homemade cheese sauce is really simple to make and so much better than anything you can melt in the microwave, so give it a try!
- 1.5 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 14.5 oz can salsa style fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 oz can chopped green chilis
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6 burrito sized flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 4 oz can chopped green chilis optional
- Add all chicken ingredients to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken
- Preheat oven to 375
- Add a large scoop of shredded cooked chicken (use slotted spoon to drain excess liquid) to center of tortilla (about a cup)
- Fold in ends and then tuck one edge and roll as tightly as you can
- Brush lightly with canola oil
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned and crispy
- Heat butter in saucepan over medium high heat
- Whisk in flour until smooth
- Slowly whisk in chicken broth and bring to simmer for about 5 minutes while whisking until thickened
- Remove from heat and stir in cheese, sour cream and as many of the green chilis as desired
- Top crispy burritos with cheese sauce and serve
NOTE 1: I cooked the chicken on low in my 4 quart multi-cooker for 7 hours
NOTE 2: See below for prep ahead instructions
Want to save time on a busy day? Do the prep work ahead of time by placing the chicken ingredients into a zippered freezer bag. You can store this in your fridge for up to 2 days or in your freezer for 2-3 months. Simply add contents of (thawed) bag to slow cooker on the day you want to make it!