As you can likely tell from the massive number of recipes on my blog revolving around Mexican flavors, it’s one of my favorite way to cook and eat. But let’s be honest. Many of the dishes can be pretty heavy with cheese and tortillas. Not to mention adding adding on lots of topping like sour cream and guac. Well, this will give you all the flavors of eating enchiladas in a lightened up version that won’t send you into a post dinner couch potato food coma!
These kinds of meals are incredibly tricky at my house. If you’ve read any of my posts then chances are you’ve heard me mention my daughter’s aversion to eating anything red. I have no idea. She did give this a valiant effort. The rest of us took up the slack!
I basically took one of the weirdo concoctions that I would normally slather between two thick layers of flour tortillas and top with piles of cheese and instead added them to the crock with some beef broth.
If you keep some ground beef cooked up and in your freezer ready to go you can have this simmering away in your crock in no time for any busy morning. Vary it up with any veggies and/or topping you like and you have a meal customized to your family!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 12 oz enchilada sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 14 oz can diced tomatoes drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 oz cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- For tortilla strips:
- 4-6 corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder I used roasted garlic powder
- Brown ground beef and drain any excess fat
- Add to crock
- Add remaining soup ingredients to crock
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- For tortilla strips:
- Heat oven to 450 degrees
- Cut tortillas into small strips and then cut the strips in half
- Toss with olive oil and garlic powder
- Place on baking sheet and bake for 6-8 minutes until crispy and starting to brown
- Serve soup with a few tortilla strips and cheese or sour cream as desired
I cooked this in my 5 quart crock on low for 6 hours
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!