Easy 5 ingredient dinner! Buffalo chicken drumsticks in the slow cooker are the perfect family friendly meal or a great snack for entertaining!
What is buffalo wing sauce? Buffalo wing sauce is made of hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and (most importantly) butter. The butter helps blend the flavors together and cut the "heat" just a bit to make the sauce more palatable.
Does it matter which BBQ sauce I use? Not at all! Use your favorite brand of BBQ sauce when making Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks. If you prefer a sweeter flavor, choose a BBQ sauce that boasts that type of flavor. The same goes for heat. If you want wicked hot buffalo chicken drumsticks, grab a bottle of your favorite "hot" BBQ sauce.
What can I substitute for blue cheese dressing? If you really just don't care for blue cheese, you can substitute some ranch dressing and drizzle that on your buffalo chicken drumsticks.
Is this recipe dairy-free? It can be! Simply substitute the butter for a dairy-free version. My favorite brand is Miyoko's.
Is this recipe a "dump and go" recipe? Not exactly. It's important to mix the sauces, honey, and preserves together until well blended before pouring the mixture into the slow cooker. This will ensure all of the flavors meld together properly as the chicken cooks.
Do I have to use drumsticks? I recommend using only drumsticks in this recipe. They are loaded with flavor and will stand up well to the slow cooking, turning out juicy and flavorful.
What do I serve with Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks? Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks are easily paired with rice, pasta, or raw veggies such as carrots and celery. You could even use your air fryer to make up a batch of french fries, onion rings, or sweet potato fries. Serve them as a main course or as an appetizer!
Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Drumsticks
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker
- In a small bowl mix together the buffalo sauce, apricot preserves, BBQ sauce and honey
- Pour sauce over chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- While that is cooking combine the blue cheese, sour cream, 2 tablespoons milk, lemon juice in a container
- Mix well and smash with fork until combined - add milk as necessary until it is to your desired consistency
- Salt and pepper to taste and store in fridge until ready to serve
- Optional: Brush drumsticks with additional buffalo sauce and place on a foil lined baking sheet in oven and broil for 3-5 minutes
- feel free to sub the blue cheese for ranch instead
- use your favorite brand of sauces as desired, subbing spicy options for even more kick if desired