Italian cuisine is known for its fresh, and deliciously simple ingredients often accentuated by herbs, oils, and spices. With this easy homemade Italian dressing mix recipe, expand distinctive Italian flavors into even more recipes!
Many slow cooker recipes, marinades, pasta dishes, and casseroles call for easy, simplified ingredients, often including a premade seasoning blend. Many of us can attest to the convenience of grabbing a seasoning packet off of the grocery store shelf. Instead, take a few extra minutes at home to mix up a simple, healthy blend to store and portion for a variety of your home-cooked dishes.
What does Italian seasoning mix contain?
To make your own easy Italian dressing mix, begin with a trip to your pantry for most (if not all) of your ingredients!
Aromatics – These are the components of the herbs that release fragrant smells when cooked into food. You’ll need oregano, parsley, thyme, marjoram, and dried basil.
Salt and pepper – Is there a more dynamic duo?
Garlic powder – Some prefer a more “garlicky” taste than others.
Red pepper flakes – A little extra zing for your tastebuds!
Why You Should Make Your Own Italian Dressing Mix
A huge perk of homemade recipes is that you control the taste and the ingredients.
With an easy homemade spice blend, YOU get to customize food for your family and can eliminate added ingredients that are not helpful in pursuing a healthy diet. For example, some dressings and spice blends are marketed as “low-sodium.” To counter that, some brands will add MSG (which can raise a recommended daily intake level).
Added sugars and maltodextrin often appear in other processed foods such as sauces and dressings.
A homemade mix can also combat many issues from a premade dressing OR a seasoning packet at the store – added sodium, high fructose corn syrup, seed oils, and other preservatives that are unnecessary when you store your spices at home.
One more shout-out to homemade seasoning blends – cost-effectiveness! By purchasing your spices in bulk, you will save in the long run as you create this mix again and again!
What do you do with Italian dressing mix?
Once this mix is prepared in your pantry, the options for bringing this delicious flavor profile into your menu rotation are endless. Try this blend in something new!
- Salads – A leafy green garden salad or with croutons and parmesan is a classic base for Italian dressing. This homemade blend also makes the perfect dressing to use in a summer pasta salad with fresh ingredients and mozzarella.
- Marinades – You may have tried Italian chicken, but these flavors mixed into a marinade also work for steak and pork roasts.
- Sandwiches – Try drizzling this dressing over deli meats and cheeses on a toasted roll or in a grilled panini.
- Pastas and Casseroles – Many baked dishes with sauces will also use an Italian-themed blend.
More Homemade Seasoning Blends
Easy Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
Easy Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon marjoram
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Pinch Red pepper flakes
Homemade Italian Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Easy Homemade Italian Dressing Mix
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
How to Make the Italian Dressing Mix
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Store in an airtight container
How To Make Italian Dressing
- Combine the seasoning mix and all other ingredients in a glass jar with a lid
- Shake until combined (You can also whisk in a bowl or combine in a blender)
- *Makes approximately ⅔ cup of dressing
- Can you substitute different oils for the dressing portion? Olive oil is best for the flavors of Italian dressing, but you could sub avocado oil for a lighter taste. I recommend avoiding canola and other seed oils as they are generally not as healthy.
- Storage Instructions: Italian dressing can be stored in an airtight container or bottle in the fridge for about 1 week. The seasoning mix can be stored in a cool, dry place for up to several months – as long as it is airtight! For storage convenience, find a reusable canning jar and lid or even portion out the mix in individual bags to equal frequent recipe needs!
- Nutrition Facts: Nutrition facts are for seasoning blend only.