Chili in the slow cooker is always delicious, but there's something extra special about Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili!
What is White Chicken Chili?
Chili aficionados need to have a variety of different "spicy bean and meat stews" in their recipe book. White Chicken Chili is the perfect addition to such a collection. White Chicken Chili uses navy beans (which are white) and turkey or chicken (which are light colored) to give the stew it's distinctively light color.
What kind of meat is best to use in White Chicken Chili? Chicken Breasts are light in color and full of flavor and protein--that makes them the perfect meat for White Chicken Chili!
What kind of beans are in White Chicken Chili? White navy beans are my go-to beans for White Chicken Chili. They cook quickly and have a creamy texture when mashed against the side of the slow cooker, allowing them to thicken the chili a bit. Plus, white navy beans have a mild flavor--so they won't compete with White Chicken Chili's spices.
Do I have to use cream cheese in my White Chicken Chili? You should! It adds a richness and a tangy zip to White Chicken Chili.
How do I make White Chicken Chili? This recipe is SO easy! Simply add everything except the cream cheese to your slow cooker and cook for 6-8 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high. When chicken is cooked through, take it out of the slow cooker and shred it using two forks. Add it back to the slow cooker along with the cream cheese that's been tempered with a bit of hot broth to make it smooth. Whisk the chili until everything is combined and you're done!
What sides go well with White Chicken Chili? Many different sides can be paired with White Chicken Chili. Crackers are the obvious choice, as are tortilla chips. How about kicking things up a notch by serving your chili with some Air Fryer French Fries , Air Fryer Sweet Potato Fries, or Air Fryer Potato Wedges? You can always add some fresh veggies to the mix to provide a crunchiness to the meal.
I absolutely LOVE chili! Why not give some of my other chili recipes a try?
Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 15 oz canned navy beans drained and rinsed
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese
- Add all ingredients except for cream cheese
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- After cooking, remove chicken and shred
- Temper cream cheese with a little of the hot broth in a separate bowl until smooth, then add back the chicken and cream cheese mixture to slow cooker.
- Use a whisk to stir well. This will require a fair amount of stirring to fully combine cream cheese. If it still seems separated, you are not done stirring.
- Serve topped with cheese, fresh cilantro, sour cream or as desired.
- For a dairy free option you can use a dairy free cream cheese like Miyoko's or Kite Hill
- Be sure to temper the cream cheese to ensure it doesn't separate
- Leftover chili keeps well in fridge up to 3 days. This chili does not freeze well.