Need a hearty chili that will satisfy not only the veggie eaters but even the meat eaters too? This Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili is so rich and tasty that nobody will miss the meat!
If you are lucky enough to be in an area that has not been impacted this week by the polar vortex that brought sub-zero wind chills and temps, then chili might not be on your radar. But it’s certainly been on mine, because the only thing I’ve wanted to eat for the last several days are bowls of piping hot soup and chili because staying warm on the inside has even been a challenge. Now, with the big game coming up this weekend, chili is likely on everyone’s radar. And whether you are feeding veggie eaters or just want a healthier option, this Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili is delicious and filling enough to please all.
What kind of vegetables go into vegetarian chili?
The wonderful thing about a recipe like this is that you can pretty much customize it to your liking. It’s good to have a mix of veggies that range in flavor and texture, but say you prefer red peppers to green or sweet potatoes to butternut squash, then just swap them out?
Like a thicker chili? Use a little less broth or add a little cornstarch slurry. I like a bit thinner of a chili and then I add crushed up tortilla chips to mine along with a little cheese and sour cream.
What should I serve with vegetarian chili?
- a range of toppings and mix in’s like cheese, sour cream, avocado and fresh cilantro
- fresh baked corn bread
- tortilla chips
- baked potatoes (sounds odd, but it’s delicious!!)
- my personal favorite, cinnamon rolls!
Slow Cooker Vegetarian Chili
- 1 small yellow sweet onion (diced)
- 2 teaspoons jarred minced garlic
- 1 green bell pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 zucchini squash (quartered and diced)
- 12 oz frozen butternut squash
- 15 oz canned northern beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 14.5 oz fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 14.5 oz crushed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!