Slow Cooker Pinto Beans are simple, inexpensive and so much better than anything from a can!
Sure it’s easy to open and drain a can of beans, but did you know it’s just as easy to make them on your own? Using your slow cooker is a brilliant way to make beans that you can use in soups, chili and just about any recipe without worry about any additives or can liners leaching into your food! Plus, you can control the salt and seasonings to have beans customized to your liking. It’s easier than you think to make Slow Cooker Pinto Beans and totally worth it!
You can obviously do this with any kind of beans, but pinto beans tend to be pretty universally used in recipes and are so versatile! Plus, you could use them to make your own refried beans, which is pretty much amazing! No more checking the labels for lard and fat, you’ll have total control over what you are eating.
What to do with all these beans once you make them?
- make “healthy” refried beans by mashing
- portion and freeze to use in place of canned (measure 1 2/3 cups per bag/container)
- use right away to make soup and chili and freeze those for ready made dinners
Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Add pinto beans to slow cooker and cover with water to at least and inch above top of beans. Cover but do not turn on slow cooker. Let soak for 8-12 hours
- Drain water and add new water plus seasonings
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours until beans reach desired tenderness
- Drain well and add additional seasonings to taste if desired
- Allow to cool completely before portioning and adding to containers or bags for storage
Use the beans in place of canned in these recipes:
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!