I just can not believe that the kids will be out of school in what's now down to a countdown of days. As I drive around town I see the neighborhoods working on getting the pools ready for opening. I love summer so I find this all pretty exciting although to be honest I have yet to figure out how to keep the kids busy enough that they don't drive me crazy by the second week in June. Not to mention trying to get a little work done in there somewhere. I've got lots of things I'm wanting to work on and share with you guys so I promise you somehow I will find a way to get it done! My slow cooker is usually going non-stop all summer anyway so that we can enjoy the afternoon at the pool and never worry about what's for dinner.
This week, however, has been all about spring. Spring in the Midwest to be more specific and that means we've had rain and thunderstorms pretty much every day this week. What goes better with a rainy day than a big pot of chili?!? Or should we have pulled pork? Maybe we should just make it Pulled Pork Chili!
Cook it super slow and let that pork get super tender. A nice little bit of chipotle chili powder to spice it up just right.
Add a little beer in here if that's a flavor you enjoy, otherwise chicken broth will work just as well. Either way, this chili is perfect for a rainy (or any busy) day!!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Chili
- 2 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 15 ounces pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 30 ounces diced tomatoes
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 8 ounces Mexican beer (chicken broth can be substituted)
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on low for 7-9 hours
- Remove pork roast and shred with forks
- Return to slow cooker and stir to combine
- Serve as desired with cheese and sour cream or just plain!