Just 5 ingredients and 5 minutes of prep time stand between you and a delicious, home-cooked meal tonight! Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Tacos are a zesty and delicious game-changer regarding weeknight dinnertime.
Ingredients Needed For Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
Simplify your grocery list by adding this recipe to your meal plan. This unique take on shredded chicken can also be easily doubled or tripled to make extras to freeze or to serve others.
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salsa verde, jarred
- homemade taco seasoning (or a favorite store-bought blend like this one)
- lime juice
*Use a high-quality seasoning blend for optimal flavor.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
OK, get ready for some SUPER simple steps to amazingly satisfying shredded chicken.
Lay the chicken breasts evenly across the bottom of the slow cooker. Sprinkle the taco seasoning on top and pour the salsa verde over the chicken breasts.
Next, pour the lime juice and honey over the chicken.
Cover the slow cooker and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until the chicken is fully cooked.
When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred it with two forks. Return the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker and mix in your desired amount of the remaining juices.
Note: The amount of liquid remaining may vary based on the thickness of the salsa used. Discard the rest of the juices by removing or draining with a large spoon.
Serve Verde Chicken Tacos with your favorite toppings and taco shells. It really can’t get any easier!
Best Chicken Taco Toppings
There are countless options for chicken taco topping combos, and even the most simple will highlight the tangy flavor of the verde chicken.
Choose a traditional spread like lettuce, tomato, cheese, and sour cream to serve over crispy or soft taco shells. Or, (my favorite) highlight even more flavors with fresh cilantro, sliced grape tomatoes, and avocado slices with a drizzle of homemade ranch dressing.
Other Ways To Serve Chicken Tacos
This shredded chicken recipe is so versatile and can be served in so many different Tex-Mex combinations. Try a few of the following ideas for your next meal!
- Create a burrito-bowl dish by serving over rice or a side of Slow Cooker Pinto Beans or Slow Cooker Refried Black Beans with Roasted Garlic. Top with all your favorites!
- Serve over salad greens with additional chopped vegetables for a hearty and healthy meal. (Perfect for those next-day leftovers!)
- Layer shredded verde chicken over tostadas or tortilla chips for chicken nachos. Include a combination of cheeses such as a fiesta blend, crumbled feta, or cotija cheese.
- Try a Slow Cooker “Red” Chicken Taco by substituting the salsa verde for your favorite tomato-based salsa. (A thin variety will infuse the most flavor into the chicken.)
All in all, this would be a fabulous dish to serve a crowd when entertaining, thanks to its countless options for customization!
More Slow Cooker Taco Recipes
- Pork Tacos
- Korean Beef Tacos
- Beer Braised Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- Greek Chicken Tacos
- Cilantro Lime Tacos
- Asian Pork Tacos
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos In The Instant Pot
If you are pressed for time or would like another option to throw together these easy Verde Chicken Tacos, try out the instant pot!
Simply add all the ingredients into the instant pot plus ½ a cup of chicken broth. Close and seal the instant pot and cook on high pressure for 12 minutes.
After cooking, do a quick release of the steam vent, remove the chicken, and shred it with two forks. Place the chicken back into the instant pot and mix with your preferred amount of the remaining juices. Discard the rest of the juices and serve!
Tips For The Best Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos
This recipe consists of simple ingredients and just a few steps, but here are some tips to make your life even easier!
- Choose a high-quality chicken breast – this is important because stringy chicken (chicken with many white “streaks” of connective tissue) won’t shred well. If you prefer darker meat, try boneless skinless thighs of similar quality.
- In my opinion, simple is best when it comes to toppings! A few flavorful ingredients can go a long way.
- Using a jarred salsa verde will be a major time-saver in this recipe! Look for a quality product with clean ingredients (you can look for the same in a premade taco seasoning).
In short, ingredients matter! You will find that the best tastes and textures often come from fresh and minimally modified ingredients.
Slow Cooker Verde Chicken Tacos
- Slow Cooker
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 1 tablespoon homemade taco seasoning (or your favorite)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- Add all ingredients to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is fully cooked
- Shred and mix with desired amount of remaining juices
- Serve with your favorite toppings
- Storage – This recipe is great for prepping extra ahead of time! Store leftover Verde Chicken Taco meat in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months. Tip: Portion out servings in freezer bags to share with others!
- Reheat – Warm up in a skillet with a tablespoon or two of water until heated thoroughly or microwave in short increments.
- Variations – Add a little extra spice with a sprinkle of crushed red pepper flakes or finely diced jalapeño pepper. Also, look for spicy taco seasoning varieties. Switch out a regular tomato salsa for salsa verde, and try boneless skinless chicken thighs for darker shredded meat.
- Meal Prep – Easily double or triple this recipe for a crowd or an extra meal to give.