How do they do it? Usually when something tastes so good it’s only because you’ve added a bunch of stuff to it to mask the original taste and make it taste more like sugar or whatever else tastes better. But sweet potatoes? So good!!! And sweet!!! And SOOO healthy!!! And amazing without doing much of anything at all!!! I could eat them every day. I often make up a batch and eat them for lunch all week. These are so easy you will be making up a whole big batch of ’em too 🙂
From time to time I will get a sweet potato craving right around dinner time and pop one in the microwave. It works…but when you cook them in the crock they come out so much fluffier. And with potatoes…the fluffier the better.
And somehow when these cook all day, the flavors just seem to soak right into the flesh of the potatoes leaving them with just a little something extra all throughout. All you need is a little pat of honey butter right on the top and you are all set. Lot’s of bang for your buck with the little effort and big taste reward here.
There’s certainly nothing wrong with the good old fashioned sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallow topping. No way I’m picking on the way Grandma used to make them. But I like something just a little bit more savory to offset the sweetness and this certainly works!
- 4 sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 2 tablespoons butter softened (for later)
- 1 tablespoon honey for later
Scrub sweet potatoes clean and pierce several times on each side with fork
- Place each potato on a small square of aluminum foil
- Give each potato a very light coating of olive oil, use your hand to rub evenly on each potato
- Mix together salt and herbs and coat each potato evenly
- Wrap foil around potato and place in slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 (adjust depending on the size of your potato, the bigger the longer it will take to cook)
- Mix softened butter and honey
- Cut open each potato and add a small scoop of the honey butter
Need a slow cooker to use for this recipe? Here is the one I bought and have been using all year and love! Perfect for chili or meat or most any recipe and comes in several sizes. I use the 4 quart for most of my meals.
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!