Slow Cooker Sweet Potatoes are quick and easy with no oven required! Add to slow cooker and come home to hot baked sweet potatoes ready to eat. So much easier than cooking in the oven, make these simple healthy sweet potatoes as a delicious side or weekly meal prep.
Do you love baked sweet potatoes as much as I do, but hate the hassle of baking in the oven? Who has time after a long day of work to wait an hour for potatoes to cook? If you want to serve up this delicious side, or if you love sweet potatoes for meal prep, then making sweet potatoes in your slow cooker is the perfect solution!
How to Make Sweet Potatoes in the Slow Cooker:
- pierce sweet potatoes with a fork (allows steam to escape while cooking)
- Add some oil and seasonings (optional but recommended)
- Add just a bit of water in the bottom of the slow cooker (keep the drippings from burning)
- Cover and let “bake” all day
- Medium sized sweet potatoes will take about 3 hours on high or 6 on low
What Seasonings Go Best with Sweet Potatoes?
I prefer seasonings with a bit of a spicy kick to offset the sweetness of sweet potatoes. I usually chose a chili powder combo plus some salt. It will all depend on how you are serving them but feel free to customize. Some other options are:
- just a plain salt rub
- brown sugar for a full sweet experience
- cayenne pepper for even more kick
What Kind of Slow Cooker is Needed?
Other Tips for Making Potatoes in the Slow Cooker:
- Try to keep the lid on while cooking to keep the heat in and allow the potatoes to cook evenly
- Potatoes can be cooked ahead and reheated later
- To freeze leftovers, remove from skins and mash and place in a freezer safe container or baggie
- These can also be made in the Instant Pot if you prefer
You can also make regular potatoes in the slow cooker, too!
Slow Cooker Salt and Spice Rubbed Sweet Potatoes
- Scrub sweet potatoes clean and pierce several times on each side with fork
- Give each potato a very light coating of olive oil, use your hand to rub evenly on each potato
- Mix together salt and herbs and coat each potato evenly
- Add water to bottom of slow cooker
- Place potatoes in slow cooker
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-7 (adjust depending on the size of your potato, the bigger the longer it will take to cook) until fork tender
- you want just enough water to cover bottom of slow cooker so that any dripping from the oil and spice won't burn. Too much and you will have steamed instead of baked potatoes.
- Feel free to swap out seasonings for any you prefer, or leave them off.
- To freeze leftovers, remove peel and mash. Store in airtight container or baggie up to 3 months.
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!