Cheesy spaghetti dishes are staple features at family dinners, potlucks, and other gatherings for good reason! A generous serving of this simple yet oh-so-tasty Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti will bring you comfort in culinary form and will have everyone asking for seconds. The flavor in this warm bowl of pasta, shredded chicken, and luscious sauce is hard to match!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
This just might be your next “most-requested” weekly menu item. You will love this recipe because:
- You only need a short list of ingredients to make this meal, and you likely will already have many on hand.
- This budget-friendly meal will make several satisfying portions with low-cost ingredients.
- Since the pasta will be added at the end, you won’t have to worry about it getting mushy or overcooked. The slow cooker will do the work for you while you go about your day, and you can add the final ingredients shortly before dinnertime.
- This recipe makes 6 hearty servings – perfect to serve seconds or save for lunch leftovers the next day.
With simple ingredients and a few hours in the slow cooker, you’ll have a delicious family favorite that even the kids will love! You can divide the ingredients into two groups. The chicken will cook first, and the pasta and cheeses will be added near the end.
For the first grouping, you’ll need:
- Chicken – Use boneless skinless chicken breasts that are around the same size, or cut them into similar sizes for even cooking.
- Shallot – Finely chop for a bit of sweet and subtle flavor. If shallots aren’t available where you shop, an easy substitute would be a yellow onion.
- Garlic – Jarred, minced garlic is your timesaver here!
- Homemade ranch seasoning and salt – This gives that extra kick of Southern comfort food taste and keeps the chicken from being too bland.
- Chicken broth – Broth is essential for adding flavor to slow cooker pasta dishes.
As you near the end of cooking, you’ll add:
- Uncooked spaghetti noodles – This recipe will use traditional noodles, but you can make adjustments for gluten-free options. Keep reading for recipe tips!
- Cream cheese – Set a reminder to let this warm to room temperature for easy blending into the spaghetti and chicken mixture.
- Shredded cheese – Cheddar or Colby-Jack are great for their stronger flavors. You could also try a finely shredded Italian blend.
How To Make Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti
Your easy steps to a creamy-delicious one-pot meal are moments away!
Start by adding the chicken breast, shallot, garlic, ranch seasoning, salt, and chicken broth to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the slow cooker and shred the pieces with two forks. Return the shredded meat to the slow cooker.
Next, break uncooked spaghetti noodles in half and add them to the slow cooker along with the room-temperature cream cheese and shredded cheese. Give the mix a stir and replace the cover.
Let it cook for another 30-60 minutes until the noodles are al dente. When I made this, I stirred the mix a few times after I added the noodles to make sure they were all cooked evenly – which took about 45 minutes. Your slow cooker temperature may vary and alter the cooking time.
If necessary, add another 1/2 cup of water or broth to allow the noodles to continue cooking. Stir everything to combine and serve immediately.
Note: When you assemble ingredients at the beginning, it will seem like there is not enough liquid, but there is! If you DO need more, you’ll add it at the end of cooking in a very small amount.
Best Sides To Serve With Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti
There are few things that are as comforting as a bowl of pasta smothered in a creamy flavorful sauce. This recipe combines so many favorite flavors into one dish and can be divided into about 6 heaping servings.
If you do want to add some sides to round out your meal and get some veggies on the table – here are some super-tasty options! Try quick and easy Sautéed Green Beans with Garlic or a little tanginess with Lemon Pepper Roasted Asparagus. Slow Cooker Carrots with Herbed Honey Butter Sauce would also be a sweet and savory addition to the creamy pasta on your plate.
Chicken Spaghetti FAQs
- Can you put dry spaghetti in the slow cooker? Yes, dry spaghetti can be cooked in the slow cooker! Be sure there is a proper portion of liquid (usually specific to different recipes), and also the pasta should be put in the slow cooker near the end of cooking instead of the same amount of time as the meat and other ingredients.
- Will spaghetti get mushy in the slow cooker? Spaghetti has the potential to become mushy for two different reasons – too much liquid or cooking too long. Spaghetti will continue to absorb liquid until either the cooking is stopped or additional liquid is drained. This is why you will add the dry spaghetti near the end and minimal amounts of extra broth as needed.
- Can chicken spaghetti be made gluten-free? To make this recipe gluten-free, choose a gluten-free pasta; typically varieties made from a corn flour blend will hold their shape the best. Reduce broth from the original amount to 2 ½ cups, and reduce cooking time for noodles to 20-30 minutes.
Recipe Substitutions and Additions
Try a few variations to embellish this scrumptious dish!
- Use a different pasta shape such as fettuccine, penne, or farfalle (the bow ties!).
- You could also add frozen mixed veggies at the same time that you add the pasta. (A super easy way to bring vegetables to your meal!)
- Try using Homemade Italian Dressing Mix instead of ranch seasoning for a bit of an Italian flair.
- Garnish with some chopped fresh parsley or a sprinkle of grated parmesan.
- Add crushed red pepper flakes for a bit of spice!
Creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Spaghetti
- Slow Cooker
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 tablespoon jarred minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon homemade ranch seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 16 oz spaghetti noodles uncooked
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Add the chicken breast, shallot, garlic, seasonings and broth to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8
- Remove chicken, shred, and return to slow cooker
- Break uncooked noodles in half and add to slow cooker along with cream cheese and shredded cheese
- Stir all ingredients, replace cover, and let it cook for another 30-60 minutes until noodles are done (add another 1/2 cup water or broth if necessary)
- Stir everything to combine and serve immediately
- Turn off the slow cooker as soon as the noodles are al dente.
- Be sure to serve immediately for the best texture of the noodles.
- Store in the fridge for up to 3 days. I would not recommend freezing due to texture changes with the noodles.
- Reheat your leftovers (if you have any!) in the microwave or in the oven.