I have to admit that it’s been ages since I’ve been to eat at the Cheesecake Factory. Whenever we used to go I almost always ordered the Shepherd’s Pie. Maybe it sounds like an odd choice but I always thought it was amazing. Perhaps not quite as amazing as the White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake…but, really? Like anything could compare to that!! I’ve even tried making Shepherd’s Pie from time to time but this time I think I finally got it right!
Okay so this is not exactly a traditional Shepherd’s Pie but if it’s good you will overlook that, right? And I promise it’s good. And easy to make! Everything goes right in the crock to cook all day long and then you have an amazing meal when you get home at the end of a long day!
Instead of ground beef I used a bottom round roast. It’s generally an inexpensive cut of meat and doesn’t have much fat. Since you will be cooking it all day long it will turn out very tender and full of flavor. I was able to easily shred it with a fork.
Whether you want to stick to the traditional veggies or mix it up is totally up to you. I used carrots, peas, and corn but this is your dinner so use what you have and what you like!
The result is what I would describe as a very rich, thick and hearty stew. I made it into “Shepherd’s Pie” by topping each bowl with a scoop of the most amazing Slow Cooker Creamy Garlic Mashed Potatoes and a little Parmesan Cheese. This is a dinner I will make often!
- 2 pounds bottom round roast
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 small yellow onion sliced
- 2-3 carrots peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup heavy cream for later
- 2 tablespoons corn starch + 2 tablespoons water for later - to create a slurry
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Place the roast in the crock
- In bowl or mixing cup whisk together the broth, tomato paste and Worcestershire
- Place the onion, vegetables, garlic and seasonings in the crock
- Pour the beef broth mixture over everything and cover
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours
- Gently shred beef with fork (as much or as little as you like depending on the size of beef chunks you would like)
- Whisk together cornstarch and water to form a slurry
- Add the slurry and cream to the crock and stir everything together to combine
- Serve with a scoop of mashed potatoes and a sprinkle of fresh Parmesan cheese
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!