Fresh filling food that will feed a crowd? This recipe! Chicken, stuffing and loads of homemade creamy sauce with plenty of mushrooms and leeks tucked in there for even more flavor. And don't forget a huge handful of your favorite freshly chopped herbs to take the flavors over the top.
I kind of consider this to be a spring comfort food. All the freshness you want but plenty filling for all your hungriest eaters.
This was a perfect fit for my casserole crock but you could make it in any 4 quart or larger slow cooker.
Get this casserole thrown together in your slow cooker and get your family gathered around the table for dinner!
Slow Cooker Fresh Herb Chicken Mushroom Leek Casserole
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (cut into large bite sized pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ pound leeks, washed well and sliced (about three leeks)
- 8 oz mushrooms halved
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 14 oz bag cubed country style stuffing mix or homemade cubed bread crumbs if preferred
- ½ cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup fresh chopped herbs (I used rosemary, sage, thyme and parsley)
- Heat butter and olive oil in skillet over medium high heat
- Add chicken and cook 3-4 minutes on each side until lightly browned
- Remove from pan and set aside
- Add onions to skillet and saute for 2-3 minutes until they start to soften
- Add mushrooms and leeks and continue to saute until slightly softened, about 4-5 minutes
- Add minced garlic and saute for an additional 1-2 minutes
- Sprinkle veggies with flour and stir to coat
- Slowly stir in lemon juice, broth and then cream and chicken and let simmer for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Stir in stuffing, half of the cheese and fresh chopped herbs
- Transfer to slow cooker that has been sprayed with nonstick spray
- Top with remaining cheese
- Cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 until chicken is fully cooked