It seems like when we eat chicken, it usually ends up being smaller pieces in things like casseroles or soups. But sometimes you just want a big ‘ole juicy piece of chicken, right? Sure, you can throw a few pieces on the grill but you know what’s even easier? Toss them in the slow cooker! Brown ’em up a bit first for a nice and crispy crust, put just the right blend of seasonings and let them cook away all day for perfect chicken every time.
I’m not sure any boneless skinless cuts of chicken would do this any justice. You need the crispy skin here to hold on to all that spicy goodness.
And speaking of the spicy goodness here did I mention it is Sriracha? I just jumped on this bandwagon recently and maybe everyone else has already jumped off? I can’t imagine since this stuff is amazing. And it makes cooking dishes like this so easy. Magic sauce in a bottle. And really here I just used enough for the flavor, it wasn’t super spicy because I wanted my four year old to eat it to. Add more Sriracha if you want to catch your mouth on fire 😉
I served it up with a little coconut rice for a meal that everyone gobbled down.
Slow Cooker Spicy Lime Chicken
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces with bones and skin (I used wings, drumsticks and thighs)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup Sriracha sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 fresh limes optional
- Heat oil and butter in large skillet over medium high heat (a bit more on the high side)
- Season skin side of chicken with salt, pepper and thyme
- Place skin side down in skillet (working in batches if needed to make sure chicken has plenty of room to stick to skillet)
- Let chicken cook for about 6-8 minutes without moving until it gets a nice brown crust
- Flip chicken and pour (or brush) with Sriracha
- Let simmer an additional 3-4 minutes
- Add lime juice to skillet and let it cook down for a minute or two turning chicken a couple times to coat
- Transfer everything from the pan to the slow cooker and top with fresh sliced limes if desired
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is cooked through