I’m guessing I’m not going to be alone here when I say one of my biggest challenges in figuring out what to make for dinner every night is finding something that is tasty enough to make everyone happy and at the same time healthy enough to make me happy. I’m all about moderation and we all deserve some tasty treats but right now I’m trying to buckle down on the carbs for the next few weeks so I can be ready (as I can be, anyway) for my next half marathon. Well, my neighbor posted on Facebook one day about how she had made a healthier Chicken Parmesan dish and I decided to come up with a version for the slow cooker!
Who even needs pasta when you have spaghetti squash?!? Seriously…. love this stuff. The only hard part about making a spaghetti squash? Figuring out how to cut it. l can’t remember where I read the trick, but if you can’t seem to get your knife though it then you can put it in the microwave for a few minutes, then let it cool and try again. It will be much easier to cut.
You won’t even miss the breaded, fried chicken in this recipe. The chicken cooks all day in the sauce so it ends up so flavorful and juicy! Top it off with fresh cheese and broil it for a few minutes to finish it off to perfectly bubbly cheesy goodness!
My favorite part? The optional (NOT optional… they are too yummy) balsamic roasted tomatoes. Throw them right on the same broiling pan with the chicken and in the same few minutes you will have taken your meal to a whole different level.
Oh yeah…I almost forgot! You cook the chicken AND the squash right in the same slow cooker! Seriously, this is so easy! Line your broiling pan with foil and clean up from the whole dinner is super easy!
Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan with Spaghetti Squash and Balsamic Roasted TomatoesPrint Pin Rate
- 1 pound chicken breasts (thin sliced or chicken breast tenderloins work the best)
- 26 oz jar of your favorite pasta sauce
- 1 medium size spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 3-4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese
- 2-3 oz fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place chicken in crock and top with pasta sauce
- Cut washed and clean spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and place cut side up on top of crock
- Drizzle squash with olive oil and Italian seasoning
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until squash is tender and chicken cooked through
- Remove squash and use fork to pull squash into spaghetti like strands
- Place chicken on foil lined pan and top each piece with mozzarella and Parmesan cheese
- Cut grape tomatoes in half and toss with vinegar, basil and salt and pepper
- Place on pan with chicken and broil both until cheese is hot and bubbly (around 5-10 minutes)
- Serve squash topped with chicken and tomatoes and extra sauce if desired
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!