When I started this blog it was in large part from my desire to document all the new recipes I’ve tried or created that otherwise never get written down and therefore end up along the lines of a one hit wonder. I wanted to be able to create our recipes over and over again and even more than that I wanted to be able to share the recipes with anyone else out there who might like to try them too since I love to share recipes with my friends. And while new and creative recipes are where I started this journey, what I hadn’t considered until recently was the idea that I might also want a place to document old family recipes as well. So here I am with a recreation of a favorite from my husbands family that I’m so excited to share with you!
When I asked my mother-in-law for some ideas for recipes…maybe something that she has always made and loved she quickly suggested making Galuskies. I had heard her talk about them but somehow had never tried them! They sounded perfect as something to make in the slow cooker!
If you google Galuskies you will find that they are a traditional German dish that involves stuffing cabbage leaves with a beef (and/or ground sausage), rice mixture and topping with tomato juice or sauce and might even include sauerkraut.
But the way my mother-in-law described how her mother made them sounded so much better (read…easier!!). Her mom would make meatballs and then layer them with carrots, cabbage, and tomato soup. All the traditional ingredients without all the traditional work!
I could have never imagined how good these would be!! I can totally understand how a recipe like this survives the generations. Traditional, classic and simple flavors make the perfect family meal! Perfect served with mashed potatoes!
- For the meatballs:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup brown minute rice
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- For sauce:
- 16 oz tomato sauce
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cream
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Other ingredients:
- 1 head cabbage
- 1 pound carrots
- In a large bowl mix together all meatballs ingredients until combined
- Roll into balls about the size of golf balls and place in crock
- In a mixing cup or medium bowl whisk together the sauce ingredients until smooth, set aside
- Peel and cut carrots into thirds and place in crock
- Quarter cabbage and place on top of carrots and meatballs (cut smaller if necessary to fit)
- Pour tomato mixture over all of it and cover
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4