A couple of years ago I was apparently living in a cave and had never even heard of tater tot casserole until a friend told me about it. Sounded pretty simple and soon my family was hooked. I mean, it’s kid friendly (what kid won’t eat tater tots?!) plus even as grown-ups we all kinda still love the stuff even if we don’t really want to admit it. But I guess that’s the other cool thing about it is that you can make it in so many ways that it will appeal to just about anyone’s tastes. And you know me. I can never leave well enough along and I’m now I’m my third version. Tater tots for breakfast, anyone?
I think we all have them. You know, those go to style recipes that we maybe modify just a little but, really, anytime we are in a pinch to get dinner done we go back to our basic comfort zone. For me, it’s usually what I call “taco stuff”. Sometimes it’s tacos or it could be taco salad or burritos. Either way, it’s the same basic ingredients that I know I can throw together quickly and get people fed. Not glamorous, but sometimes it’s not meant to be.
This recipe kind of comes together as a combo of those things my family loves and things I can get on the table quickly. It’s essentially a taco meat style recipe doctored up with a few more ingredients and topped off with tater tots. And did you notice? No packages of taco seasoning!! This is cooked up with loads of tomatoes, salsa, corn, peppers, onions…. you get the picture. Lots of fresh taste and that is what will take your family taco night to a whole new level.
What are your go to family meals? Will this soon be making an appearance in the rotation?
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 (15oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14.5oz) can fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- ½ cup frozen corn
- 4 oz whipped cream cheese
- 2 pounds tater tots
- ½ cup salsa
- 8 oz shredded mild cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium high heat add beef, onion, garlic and jalapeño
- Break up beef as it cooks and stir as needed to brown evenly and cook veggies
- Once ground beef is fully cook and veggies are softened you can spoon off any excess grease
- Add black beans, tomatoes, corn and cream cheese and stir to combine well
- Let heat through for 3-5 minutes
- Spray slow cooker well with nonstick canola oil spray
- Add half of tater tots on bottom then top with ground beef mixture
- Top with remaining tots, drizzle with salsa and cover with cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-6 or until tater tots are hot and slightly crispy on edges and cheese is fully melted
If using a casserole style slow cooker add all filling on bottom and all tots on top then covered with salsa and cheese
Tater tot casserole is a great dish to make up ahead of time and save time on a busy day!!
Want more tater tot casserole?
Try these tater tot casseroles in your slow cooker too!!
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!