Fresh meals from the freezer? You betcha!! Without one bit of prompting on my part (or even any mention I had done anything different) Shawn proclaimed this the best tater tot casserole I had made yet! I asked him why and he said that it just tasted fresher. Pretty cool considering the fact I had just pulled it out from the freezer the night before! I had made it a couple weeks before. But I did something different after the success of my Slow Cooker Buffalo Chicken Tater Tot Casserole and ditched the canned soup and made a simple from scratch sauce. The result? Win!
Super simple to make and double it up for extra bang for your buck. Two meals done and ready to roll! Perfect for serving up a hearty home cooked meal on any busy night. Isn’t that so much better than settling for something quick from a drive through? In my book a home cooked meal wins every time.
I never even knew that tater tot casserole existed until my friend Robyn told me about it during one of our morning runs. Her kids go crazy over it and now mine do too (not to mention the husband!). What I now make as an “oh no, I forgot to shop/cook/plan, guess I will throw this in the crock” makes my family think I’ve made something extra special just for them. Makes them happy, makes me happy.
Making a creamy sauce is so super easy you will wonder why you haven’t been doing it this way all along. Well, I wondered anyway! By the time you find the can opener and remember how to use it you can have this sauce simmering away.
Thaw overnight in the fridge, add a bag of still frozen tater tots, and top it all off with some (preferably fresh but packaged is okay too) grated cheese and your tummy will be rumbling in no time while you smell the yumminess that is scenting the air of your kitchen!
- 2 pounds ground beef
- ½ cup flour
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon seasoning blend (I used Italian)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn kernels
- 2 - 32 oz bags frozen tater tots (for later)
- 3 cups shredded cheese (for later)
- In a large skillet brown ground beef over medium high heat until fully cooked and no pink remains and drain any fat
- Add flour and stir to coat all beef evenly with flour
- Slowly add broth while continuing to stir to ensure no lumps form from flour
- Add seasonings and bring mixture up to a slow boil and then reduce to a simmer
- Let simmer for about 5-7 minutes until broth thickens to coat the spoon
- Stir in the cream and continue to simmer for another 3-5 minutes to let everything thicken to the texture of cream soup
- Add peas and corn and stir to combine evenly
- Cool and split the beef mixture into two separate gallon size freezer bags
- Freeze until ready to use
- Thaw overnight in fridge
- Spray crock with nonstick spray
- Place half of one bag of tater tots in the bottom of crock
- Top with meat mixture
- Add remaining half of tater tots and then top with 1½ cups shredded cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
Looking for more freezer meals? How about Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings:
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!