With simple ingredients you are likely to have on hand and just a few minutes of prep time, you can have this family friendly, delicious casserole waiting for you when you walk in the door after a long day! Imagine melty cheese and tasty veggies in this simple vegetarian casserole!
Want a meal the whole family will love? It often seems an impossible task, but this taco casserole is sure to be a hit! The bonus is the fact that no pre-cooking is required, it can be assembled in minutes, and is perfect for the slow cooker while you are out of the house all day.
This is a meal that simply requires adding a few on-hand ingredients into a bowl, adding in a few fresh chopped veggies for good measure (totally customizable) and mixing together with plenty of cheese for the perfect easy casserole.
What ingredients do I need for taco casserole?
Add the following ingredients to a large mixing bowl...
- crushed tortilla chips
- canned black beans
- diced tomatoes
- fresh diced jalapeño
- fresh diced red pepper
- frozen sweet corn
- enchilada sauce
- cream cheese
- fresh or dried cilantro
You can always leave out the peppers or use canned or jarred peppers if you prefer, truly making it a clean out the pantry meal.
Prep Ahead Instructions:
- Mix all of the ingredients in the bowl
- Add to a freezer bag, remove as much air as possible and seal
- Store in the freezer up to 3 months
- Thaw in fridge overnight before cooking
What kind of slow cooker do I need?
Any slow cooker will work for this recipe, but you will need to be mindful of of the size and shape to determine the cooking time.
I recommend using a mini casserole slow cooker but here are some other options as well.
- I prefer an oval slow cooker for more even cooking
- If it's larger than 3 quart you will need to reduce cooking time (a slow cooker that is less full will cook food faster)
- For a round slow cooker, you may need to increase cooking time to heat the food all the way through the middle
Other tips for making taco casserole:
- I recommend shredding your own cheese from a block for better melting
- you can use regular or fire-roasted canned diced tomatoes
- for a spicy taco casserole, you can leave the seeds in the jalapeños or use canned jalapeños
What to do with the leftovers:
Portion into individual serving containers and store in fridge for up to 2 days or freezer for up to 3 months.
Warm in microwave until heated through.
- sour cream
- more fresh chopped cilantro
- fresh salsa
If you love easy casseroles like this, I know you'll also love my 3 ingredient lasagna!
Slow Cooker Spicy Taco Casserole
- 6 oz about half a bag tortilla chips, gently crushed
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 14.5 oz can diced fire roasted tomatoes drained
- 1 jalapeno seeded and diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 8 oz can enchilada sauce
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped cilantro or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Spray crock with nonstick spray
- Mix all ingredients in a separate bowl, holding back 1 cup of shredded cheese
- Place mixture in crock and top with remaining shredded cheese
- Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or low for 4-5 hours
- To make ahead add all ingredients to freezer bag and store in freezer for up to 3 months. Thaw before cooking.
- To make spicy, leave seeds in jalapeño or use canned jalapeños.
- For best results, shred cheese from block instead of using pre-shredded cheese.
- Use a mini casserole slow cooker or other 3 quart oval slow cooker
- If using a larger slow cooker reduce cooking time