Did you ever think that even during the week, when you are working, transporting kids all around or just all out busy that you would still be able to have a homemade pot pie for dinner? Well, I never did. And even when I though about it I hesitated trying because I was worried it just wouldn’t be the same as a delicious pot pie you might get from your favorite restaurant. But I was wrong. It is almost too easy to make this and besides the one little cheat of using prepared dough it was very homemade. And so easy to put together quickly before heading out the door.
We are going to take advantage of frozen veggies here by using peas, carrots, corn and mushrooms that are all ready to go in freezer bags for us. No chopping or dicing! I love frozen veggies because they still pack all the nutrition of fresh but can be so convenient.
A few dried spices that you likely have on hand anyway and most of your pie is assembled. At the end we will thicken up our sauce with a little cream and cornstarch and add the topping to cook for another 30-60 minutes.
I made this in my casserole slow cooker which was perfect. You could easily adapt this to a regular slow cooker as well, you may just need to reduce the amount of crust on top.
So what do you think? Pot pie this week anyone??
Slow Cooker Chicken Pot PiePrint Pin Rate
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 cups frozen peas and carrots blend
- 2 cups frozen mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- cornstarch slurry ((2 tablespoons corn starch whisked with 2 tablespoons water))
- 8 oz package crescent roll sheet
- Add chicken and veggies to slow cooker
- Sprinkle with seasonings
- Stir in broth
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Carefully break apart chicken into smaller chunks with a fork
- Stir in cream and cornstarch slurry
- Open crescent roll sheet and lay out on a cutting board
- Use a pizza cutter to cut it into 1/2 inch strips
- Lay the strips across the top of the filling in the slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for another 30-60 minutes until dough is cooked through and golden brown
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!
Craving another amazing pot pie recipe?
Or, use up some leftover turkey or chicken and make this one!
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!