Let’s talk about the food of our childhoods today. Our family almost always ate dinner together around the table and I always think that was such an important thing growing up. Life gets a little crazier now days and people are running in different directions more often than not. But I still think dinner together as a family, no matter if your family is big or small, is time to be valued. If you think back to those times as a kid I’ll bet many of you can remember not only that time spent together but the meals that were eaten as well. That’s truly what food is all about to me, creating those memories, and in some cases bring back the old memories like the casseroles my mom used to make.
Did your mom or dad make tuna noodle casserole? Looking back I’m sure my mom chose it for how easy it was but I know as kids we all loved it. Most likely because she always topped it off with crushed chips and hey, what kid doesn’t want chips for dinner?
If I have to be honest, I’m pretty sure I used to pick out as much of the tuna as possible so that I could just eat the noodles, chips and creamy sauce. I’ve never really come to terms with my canned tuna aversion, so when I decided to recreate this comfort food for my kids I went with chicken instead. I also left out the canned soup and made a super simple sour cream sauce. But I can tell you without a doubt, the chips were a must have so they were certainly included.
I truly love how the slow cooker lets me put together a meal like this with so little work so that even if we are busy we still have time for wholesome dinner like this. If you think the family dinner is a thing of the past then I encourage you to find some simple recipes like this one that you can put together easily and that will cook even while you are away so that in the little time you do have you can spend it sitting, chatting, eating, and making memories!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken (breasts or thighs will work)
- 2½ cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup sour cream
- 12 oz spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup crushed potato chips (I used parmesan kettle chips)
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add chicken, broth and Italian seasoning to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Remove cover and shred chicken with forks
- Stir in sour cream and then add spaghetti noodles, breaking apart if needed to fit
- Press noodles into broth to allow them to cook, cover and return slow cooker to high heat for about 30 minutes or until noodles are done( stir noodles once or twice to ensure they cook evenly)
- Add cheese on top of cooked noodles and top it off with crushed chips
- Cover again for just a few more minutes until cheese is melted
Tip! You can use regular spaghetti noodles or now you can find new Pronto! noodles that will cook much faster and work great in the slow cooker
A casserole slow cooker works great for this recipe! I love mine and use it for so many family favorite meals!
Make sure you check out all my other casserole favorite recipes as well!
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase an item through the link I will get a small percentage of the sale which goes toward the recipe development I do for this site. Thanks so much for your support!
Free Guide to Slow Cooking!
Sign up for our newsletters and get an instant download of our Welcome and Getting Started Guide to Slow Cooking!