An even better version of a beloved childhood classic dinner! This Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Casserole is comfort food at its best, my version leaves out the canned soup and by using the slow cooker you save time making this the perfect weeknight meal! More time for making memories around the table!
Let’s talk about the food of our childhoods today. Our family almost always ate dinner together around the table and I think that was such an important thing growing up. Life gets a little crazier now days and people are running in different directions more often than not. But I still think dinner together as a family, no matter if your family is big or small, is time to be valued. If you think back to those times as a kid I bet many of you can remember not only the time spent together but also the meals that were eaten. That’s truly what food is all about to me, creating those memories, and in some cases bringing back old memories like the casseroles my mom used to make.
Did your Mom or Dad make tuna noodle casserole when you were growing up? Looking back I am sure it was a go-to for my Mom because it was such an easy recipe, but as kids we all loved it! Most likely because she always topped it off with crushed chips and hey, what kid doesn’t want chips for dinner?
Who says comfort food requires spending all day in the kitchen or using a ton of ingredients? Not my Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Casserole!
- When I recreated this comfort food for my kids I went with chicken instead of the traditional tuna. However, the beauty of this recipe is you can customize and make it your own!
- Most Chicken Noodle Casseroles or Tuna Noodle Casseroles call for chicken or mushroom soup, however, I left out the canned soup and made a super simple but absolutely delicious sour cream sauce.
- Instead of watching over an oven for this casserole to bake, I used my casserole slow cooker for this recipe! I love mine and use it for so many family favorite meals!
I truly love how the slow cooker lets me put together a meal like this with so little work so that even when busy, we still have time for a wholesome dinner. If you think the family dinner is a thing of the past, I encourage you to find some simple recipes like this chicken noodle casserole. Use the time saved sitting, chatting, eating and making memories!
Need more slow cooker ideas for comfort food like this Chicken Noodle Casserole? Try these!
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken (breast or thighs will work)
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 12 oz spaghetti noodles
- 1 cup crushed potato chips (I used parmesan kettle chips)
- 4 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Add chicken, broth and Italian seasoning to slow cooker
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Remove cover and shred chicken with forks
- Stir in sour cream and then add spaghetti noodles, breaking apart if needed to fit
- Press noodles into broth to allow them to cook, cover and return slow cooker to high heat for about 30 minutes or until noodles are done (stir noodles once or twice to ensure they cook evenly)
- Add cheese on top of cooked noodles and top it off with crushed chips
- Cover again for just a few more minutes until cheese is melted
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!