Mexican Lasagna combines two of your favorite food groups into one satisfying meal! The flavor combos are unreal and using your slow cooker is a genius way to make this simple meal.
Want a meal the whole family will be on board with? How about one that combines two favorites into one meal?! Take lasagna and tacos and mix ‘em up and make a Taco Lasagna! It might sound a little crazy, but have you tried it? Using the traditional ingredients of lasagna noodles, hamburger and ricotta cheese and combining them with black beans, tortillas, and taco seasoning turns this meal into a great flavor combination! It comes together pretty easily and cooks perfectly in the slow cooker!
I used my homemade taco seasoning in this recipe and if you haven’t tried it yet I strongly encourage you to mix up a batch! I love it because it uses the spices I pretty much always keep on hand so if I don’t have any seasoning packets on hand I can always make it! Plus, the flavor is great AND you can even customize it!
The other ingredient I encourage for this recipe is the “fresh style” salsa you can pick up from the deli at the grocery store. I think in recipes like this or even in soups using the fresh salsa makes such a huge difference in the flavor. Another way to keep this slow cooker meal tasting “fresh”? Use cheese that you grate yourself off the block instead of pre-shredded cheese. Now, I have nothing against pre-shredded cheese and they sure do come in handy, but if you have just a couple extra minutes I think you will really notice the difference if you do it yourself.
Something I’d sure like to try someday is making homemade pasta noodles. I need to investigate what tools are required because I’m guessing I don’t have them so for now I continue to use store bought noodles and they work just fine! Use the oven ready lasagna noodles for this recipe and the only pan you’ll have to dirty is one to brown up the hamburger.
I used a little frozen corn in this recipe, but it’s a great one to add in some extra veggies if you like! Just be careful with anything that has a high water content like zucchini and try to salt and drain some water before using it otherwise you lasagna may end up soupy. Nobody wants soupy lasagna!
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or you can use 1 package taco seasoning)
- ¼ cup water
- 8 oz oven ready lasagna noodles
- 4 soft taco flour tortillas
- 16 oz fresh salsa
- 15.5 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese blend
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium high heat and drain off excess grease
- Stir in taco seasoning and water and let simmer for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and set aside
- In a 9x13 casserole dish start by spreading ¼ cup salsa on bottom
- Top with 3½ lasagna noodles, ½ cup ricotta cheese, ¼ of the taco meat, ¼ cup beans, ½ cup corn, and ¼ cup salsa
- Repeat a second layer using 2 tortillas instead of lasagna noodles
- Repeat each of these layers again then finish off with lasagna noodles
- Top it all off with remaining ½ cup salsa and 2 cups shredded cheese
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2½ to 3 hours or until heated through and cheese melted