Mexican Lasagna combines two of your favorite food groups into one satisfying and easy meal! The flavor combos are unreal and using your slow cooker is a genius way to make this updated comfort food a new family favorite!
Want a meal the whole family will be on board with? How about one that combines two favorites into one meal?! Take lasagna and tacos and mix ‘em up and make a Taco/Mexican Lasagna! Using the traditional ingredients of lasagna noodles, hamburger and ricotta cheese and combining them with black beans, tortillas, and taco seasoning turns this meal into a great flavor combination! It comes together easy and cooks perfectly in my casserole slow cooker!
I used my homemade taco seasoning in this recipe and if you haven’t tried it yet I strongly encourage you to mix up a batch! I love it because it uses the spices I pretty much always keep on hand so if I don’t have any seasoning packets in the pantry I can always make it. Plus, the flavor is great AND you can even customize it!
A couple of tips to give this Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna a little bump in flavor:
- ‘Fresh Style’ salsa you can pick up from the deli at the grocery store is encouraged for this Mexican lasagna. For recipes like this or even in soups, using fresh salsa makes such a big difference in flavor.
- Another way to keep this slow cooker meal tasting ‘fresh’ is to grate the cheese you use off the block instead of pre-shredded cheese.
- Pre-shredded cheese is super convenient and I use it frequently, however to shred it yourself for this recipe only takes a couple of extra minutes and I think you will really notice the difference!
Something I’d sure like to try someday is making homemade pasta noodles. I need to investigate what tools are required because I’m guessing I don’t have them. So, for now I continue to use store bought noodles and they work just fine! Use the easy oven ready lasagna noodles for this recipe and the only pan you’ll have to dirty is one to brown up the hamburger.
This Mexican Lasagna is the perfect recipe to pack full of veggies, your family will have no idea just how healthy this comfort food is. Try these different variations!
- zucchini or squash
- chopped sweet potatoes
Just be careful with anything that has a high water content like zucchini. Salt and drain some water before using it, otherwise your lasagna may end up soupy. Nobody wants a soupy lasagna!
Slow Cooker Mexican Lasagna
- 1 pound hamburger
- 2 tablespoons homemade taco seasoning (or you can use 1 package taco seasoning)
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 oz oven ready lasagna noodles
- 4 soft taco flour tortillas
- 16 oz fresh salsa
- 15.5 oz can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 15 oz ricotta cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese blend
- Brown ground beef in skillet over medium high heat and drain off excess grease
- Stir in taco seasoning and water and let simmer for 3-4 minutes, remove from heat and set aside
- In a 9x13 casserole dish start by spreading 1/4 cup salsa on bottom
- Top with 3 1/2 lasagna noodles, 1/2 cup ricotta cheese, 1/4 of the taco meat, 1/4 cup beans, 1/2 cup corn, and 1/4 cup salsa
- Repeat a second layer using 2 tortillas instead of lasagna noodles
- Repeat each of these layers again then finish off with lasagna noodles
- Top it all off with remaining 1/2 cup salsa and 2 cups shredded cheese
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until heated through and cheese is melted
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!