This Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings satisfies all your cravings for comfort food without spending hours in the kitchen, it couldn't be easier or more delicious! Make a batch now and one for later, perfect for those busy nights or weekends!I am not saying it's a good thing, or even a bad thing but these are not your Grandma's traditional chicken and dumplings. However, I can guarantee you these Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings are easy. And delicious.
In hardly any time at all, the prep work will be done for this filling and satisfying meal. This is sure to please everyone in the family, even the pickiest kids! It will feel awesome knowing you have another meal ready in the freezer for next time you have a craving for comfort food!
Interested in saving time in the kitchen? Try these simple and delicious freezer meal ideas!
- Freezer Meal: Slow Cooker Tater Tot Casserole
- Freezer Meal: Slow Cooker Veggie Lasagna
- Freezer: Make-Ahead Italian Meatballs
My little secret here is that instead of actually making dumplings I just opened a package of gnocchi and dumped it in the slow cooker. EASY!! Once they cooked long enough and became fluffy and absorbed the flavors of the sauce they were perfect.
I started out by prepping all the veggies. This is fun because it's a good way to sneak in some extra vegetables to your family's diet... especially if this is a challange. I used the opportunity to throw in some parsnips since they are a favorite of mine!You will assemble the prepped veggies, chicken thighs, seasonings and some flour in each baggie. This will all go into the freezer and the bulk of your work is done. So simple! The ingredient list I give you makes enough for two meals that will each serve about four (all four of us had enough for two bowls).
When you are ready to make this just thaw your frozen bag overnight in the fridge and in the morning it will be so quick to pour it into the slow cooker along with a carton (4 cups) of chicken broth. That's it!!!
Less than 60 seconds and you know you will have a warm and healthy meal to feed the gang when you get home. Even if you have a busy sports night it will still be faster than going through the drive thru!
Here are some of my favorite kitchen tools used when making this Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings:
Freezer Meal: Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms cut to bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cups carrots peeled and cut to bite sized pieces
- 1 ½ cups parsnips peeled and cut to bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cups yellow onion cut to bite size pieces
- 1 ½ cups corn I used frozen
- 1 ½ cups peas I used frozen
- ½ cup flour
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ tsp pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth (for later) used to make one meal
- ½ cup heavy cream (for later) used to make one meal
- 1 lb dried gnocchi (purchased at Target, 17.6 oz, for later) used to make one meal
- 2 tbsp cornstarch (mixed with 2TBSP of water, for later (optional)) used to make one meal
- Prepare 2 gallon size freezer bags by labeling and propping open
- Cut chicken into bite sized chunks or leave whole and shred after cooking
- Add 1 pound of chicken to each freezer bag
- Add ½ of each vegetable, ¼ cup of flour, and half of each seasoning to each bag
- Seal and remove all air and shake to coat flour on ingredients evenly
- Place in fridge for up to 2 days or freezer for up to 6 months
- To prepare as a meal thaw one freezer bag overnight
- Place thawed contents in slow cooker along with with chicken broth
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken if desired
- Stir in cream, gnocchi and cornstarch mixture
- Cover and continue heating on high for 15-30 minutes or until gnocchi is cooked tender and cream is heated through and sauce is to desired thickness