This might not be as healthy as the Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken that I made the other day, but…. LEMON!! Worth the splurge! When we visit my parents I like going out to eat dinner at one of their favorite places because you can order a piece of pie with your meal. I just love the lemon pie! But have I ever made lemon pie? That would involve a lot of work and a lot of baking. My best substitution? Lemon Cookie Bars! Okay so they don’t have the fluffy whipped topping but in my book the powdered sugar dusting is quite delicious!
You will start out my making the same cookie dough that I used for these cookie bars I made a while back. I’m noticing a citrus trend here….. especially when I think about crispy citrus carnitas and orange chicken. I could go on but this would turn into a landmine of links.
I kept it even easier by using a jar of lemon curd as the topping. You should find it right along with the jams and jellies at the grocery store. If you are super ambitious I’m sure you can find a recipe for homemade as well.
“Bake” these in your crockpot on high for a few hours (exactly 2 1/2 hours for me!). Let them cool and give them a good ‘ole coating of sifted powdered sugar.
I used a 6 quart oval slow cooker for this recipe and I cut them up into 12 little squares of lemony goodness!
You could double the recipe and make it in a casserole style slow cooker too!
Slow Cooker Lemon Cookie Bars
- 12 tablespoons butter 1-1/2 sticks, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 cups flour
- 10 oz jar lemon curd
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar or more if you wish!
- Spray crock well with nonstick spray
- In large bowl beat together butter, sugar, vanilla and salt (I used my hand held mixer)
- Add in egg and mix until combined
- Slowly add flour and mix until dough is formed
- Press dough evenly in the bottom of the crock
- Spread lemon curd evenly over the top
- Cover and bake on high 2-4 hours (mine took 2.5 hours exactly)
- Let cool in crock then cut into squares and remove
- Dust with powdered sugar using sifter or fine mesh strainer
- Store in airtight container
How perfect is slow cooker baking – especially when you don’t want to heat up the house in the summer-time?!?