Let’s go on a little adventure today! What do you say? Many of you already have snow on the ground so it’s not a stretch to start thinking about cranking up the Christmas tunes and firing up the oven slow cooker to so some amazing holiday baking. That’s right. I said slow cooker! Why not? It’s a great way to make up, say, a big batch of delicious Triple Chocolate Salted Caramel Brownies without having to babysit the oven. So grab your eggnog and let’s get this adventure started!
Is there anything better than homemade treats? Me and my kids love to make a list and get to baking some special desserts that we can share with our friends and family. It’s one of the few times a year I tend to do much baking…(err….. slow baking?) and I like to put a little extra effort into making this totally from scratch when possible.
For this recipe, that even includes making our own salted caramel sauce. Don’t worry, this one is simple. Just 4 ingredients and less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Let’s have a little chat about our triple chocolate deal we’ve got going on. The first is some semi-sweet chips that we will melt with a little butter in the microwave to give the brownies a super chocolatey base. Of course we won’t stop there. We will also add some chocolate baking powder AND of course some milk chocolate chips. Because brownies aren’t really brownies without that little extra burst of chocolate.
We are going to mix this all up with your basic brownie ingredients using a simple one bowl method and a wooden spoon. Nice right? No big messes to clean up. So let’s chat about those basic ingredients for bit! We’ve got eggs, sugar, vanilla, baking powder and salt. Plus, of course, we’ve got to have flour. Make sure you use a good quality flour here, like Bob’s Red Mill (like coupons? grab one here). Truly, this kitchen staple is incredibly versatile and perfect for all of your baking needs. Or slow cooked baking needs, however you look at it ?
Another tip here… make sure you bring your 4 year old muscle in here to do the heavy work, like mixing the batter. Seriously, my daughter loves this stuff and she does a pretty amazing job! I can sit back and have a couple sips of coffee while she stirs happily away!
Slow Cooker Salted Caramel Brownies
Easy Salted Caramel:
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Triple Chocolate Brownies:
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened to room temperature)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup baking cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
For salted caramel:
- In saucepan over medium high heat melt butter
- Add brown sugar and cream
- Stir then bring to a bubble/low boil and let continue to boil for 2-3 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Stir until smooth and set aside to let cool slightly while making brownie batter
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips to microwave safe bowl
- Microwave on high for 30 second interval, stirring each time until melted and smooth
- In a large bowl using a wooden spoon mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and eggs until smooth
- Stir in melted chocolate
- Add flour, cocoa powder, sea salt and baking powder and stir again until incorporated
- Stir chocolate chips into batter
- Smooth batter into casserole crock coated with nonstick cooking spray
- Drizzle caramel over the top and use knife to marble the caramel into the brownies
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or until brownies are starting to get crispy on the edges and setting in the center (the center will be a bit soft but just let them cool for a bit and they will finish setting up)
This recipe is designed for a casserole style slow cooker. I cooked them on high for 3 hours.
Calories: 606kcalCarbohydrates: 63gProtein: 4gFat: 38gSaturated Fat: 23gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 443mgPotassium: 214mgFiber: 3gSugar: 49gVitamin A: 990IUVitamin C: 0.1mgCalcium: 73mgIron: 2.4mgImportant nutritional disclaimer
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.