I was lucky growing up in that my family all ate dinner together almost every night. I didn’t realize it at the time, but it really was a big deal. It’s something that many families struggle with now days, mine included. I always remember my favorite meal being a big ole crockpot of pork chops and rice. It seems like my brother and I were always racing to see who could get seconds first and more than once I’m pretty sure it turned into a battle. I’m sure it drove my mom crazy, but at the same time she had to love the fact that we loved her cooking so much!
This recipe may be a slight departure from that original one from more than just a few years ago but in my own way I wanted to create that same sort of meal for my kids. Thankfully these slow cooked pork chops with a creamy flavorful gravy seemed to do the trick. Of course it’s hard to say what kind of memories they will help make, but at least everyone requested seconds.
Pork chops are so quick to dry out and that’s why I think they are perfect in the slow cooker. They turn out juicy and fall apart tender. Top them off with a creamy gravy perfectly seasoned with your favorite herbs and you have a winner.
I served these up with potatoes but they would also be very good with rice. Add your favorite veggies (we went with my favorite quick and simple green beans) and you have a well rounded dinner perfect for a meal around the table any night of the week.
Need a slow cooker to use for this recipe? Here is the one I bought and have been using all year and love! Perfect for browsing up the pork chops without using an extra pan! I use the 4 quart for most of my meals.
- 2 pounds pork loin chops
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ small yellow onion, diced (or about ¼ cup)
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried mustard powder
- ⅛ (or up to ¼) teaspoon pepper, depending on taste
- 1½ cup chicken broth
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon freeze dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon freeze dried basil
- Sprinkle each side of pork chops with thyme, salt, pepper and mustard
- In large skillet over medium high heat melt butter with olive oil
- Add onion and garlic and saute for about 2 minutes
- Move onions and garlic to side of pan and add seasoned pork chops
- Saute for about 2 minutes on each side until lightly browned
- Transfer contents of pan to slow cooker
- Add chicken broth
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4
- Remove pork chops and cover to keep warm
- Add cream to slow cooker and whisk
- To thicken sauce pour into small saucepan and whisk in 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Bring to a boil for 2-3 minutes until thickened to desired consistency
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste
- Pour over pork chops and garnish with freeze dried herbs
Hungry for more juicy pork chop recipes?
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!