Mashed Potatoes don't have to be a lot of work when you make this NO BOIL version in your slow cooker! Perfect for a weeknight meal or for Thanksgiving dinner.
Any dinner that includes mashed potatoes feels extra special! While we might be willing to go the extra mile to make them for holiday meals, but what don't love the hassle or just want to enjoy mashed potatoes any night of the week?
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes take the work out of boiling and stressing over under or overdone potatoes to give you perfectly cooked, easy to make mashed potatoes any time you have a craving.
How do you make mashed potatoes in a slow cooker?
- Peel and dice potatoes (you can leave the skin on or not, up to you!)
- Add to slow cooker
- Cover with water
- Let cook all day
- Drain carefully
- Use a hand mixer or hand masher to make the potatoes right in the slow cooker!
I love how you don't have to worry about watching a boiling pot. Just let these cook all day and they will be ready when you are!
Want to do the prep work ahead of time? You can peel the potatoes and store them in a bowl of water in the refrigerator for up to one day.
How many potatoes per person for mashed potatoes?
You'll want about ½ pound of unpeeled potatoes per person. This may be a little on the high side, but who ever complained about having a few leftover mashed potatoes? It's always best to have plenty than to run out!
Can I make the make the mashed potatoes ahead of time?
Yes! You can make them ahead and keep them on warm until time to eat or even make them up to 3 days in advance and reheat in the slow cooker.
What are the best ingredients to add to mash with potatoes?
I've had mashed potatoes using milk, broth, cream cheese, just about anything you can think of!
But, for the best traditional, homestyle, fully amazing mashed potatoes you have to go for heavy cream, butter and salt. That's all you really need for the best full flavored, fully comforting mashed potatoes of all time!
Making these for Thanksgiving? Check out my Thanksgiving Guide for a full line up of recipes!
Making these for an every day dinner?
Serve these up with a delicious pork roast, some creamy chicken thighs or a traditional pot roast for a real and amazing family meal that will have you enjoying dinner time around the table with your loved ones without any stress (over the dinner, at least!).
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 5 quart slow cooker
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt to taste
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Add to slow cooker and cover with water
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until potatoes are fork tender
- Carefully pour potatoes into a collander to drain water and then add back to slow cooker
- Add ¼ cup of the cream and all of the butter
- Mash with hand mixer or potato masher, adding additional cream as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Add salt to taste and stir
- The smaller you cut the potatoes, the faster they will cook
- Add additional cream as needed for thinner consistency
- Add salt a little bit at a time and taste so that you don't oversalt
- Cook in broth instead of water for additional flavor
- Use an electric hand mixer for a smoother texture