Love mashed potatoes but hate the work? Simplify your holiday or family dinner with these super easy, no-boil Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes! Make ahead and keep on warm for a no fuss side dish this Thanksgiving.
There’s something almost magical about the comfort and good feelings brought about by a dinner that includes mashed potatoes. Most of us are willing to go the extra mile to make them for holiday meals, but what don’t love the hassle or just want to enjoy mashed potatoes any night of the week?
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes take the work out of boiling and stressing over under or overdone potatoes to give you perfectly cooked, easy to make mashed potatoes any time you have a craving.
How to you make mashed potatoes in a slow cooker?
- Peel and dice potatoes (you can leave the skin on or not, up to you!)
- Add to slow cooker
- Cover with water
- Let cook all day
- Drain carefully
- Use a hand mixer or hand masher to make the potatoes right in the slow cooker!
I love how you don’t have to worry about watching a boiling pot. Just let these cook all day and they will be ready when you are!
How many potatoes per person for mashed potatoes?
You’ll want about 1/2 pound of unpeeled potatoes per person. This may be a little on the high side, but who ever complained about having a few leftover mashed potatoes? It’s always best to have plenty than to run out!
What are the best ingredients to add to mash them?
I’ve had mashed potatoes using milk, broth, cream cheese, just about anything you can think of!
But, for the best traditional, homestyle, fully amazing mashed potatoes you have to go for heavy cream, butter and salt. That’s all you really need for the best full flavored, fully comforting mashed potatoes of all time!
Not to worry though, I also have a skinny version if you want it!
Craving mashed potatoes for a non-holiday meal?
Serve these up with a delicious pork roast, some creamy chicken thighs or a traditional pot roast for a real and amazing family meal that will have you enjoying dinner time around the table with your loved ones without any stress (over the dinner, at least!).
Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- 3 pounds russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt (to taste)
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1 inch cubes
- Add to slow cooker and cover with water
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until potatoes are fork tender
- Carefully pour potatoes into a collander to drain water and then add back to slow cooker
- Add 1/4 cup of the cream and all of the butter
- Mash with hand mixer or potato masher, adding additional cream as needed to achieve desired consistency
- Add salt to taste and stir
- The smaller you cut the potatoes, the faster they will cook
- Add additional cream as needed for thinner consistency
- Add salt a little bit at a time and taste so that you don't oversalt
- Cook in broth instead of water for additional flavor
- Use an electric hand mixer for a smoother texture
Love EASY recipes as much as we do?
Let's join forces to ditch processed food and expensive take-out! Who's ready to create simple recipes at home using wholesome ingredients? Join me for EASY to make, family approved recipes every week and get my free guide!