Not saying it’s a good thing, or even a bad thing. But the thing is these are not traditional, authentic like your grandma made chicken and dumplings. But what I can say is that they are easy. And delicious. Do all the prep work ahead of time and have two baggies in the freezer filled with the makings for this comfort meal and have a filling and satisfying meal on busy nights that even the pickiest kids should enjoy!
My little secret here is that instead of actually making dumplings I just opened a package of gnocchi and dumped it in. EASY!! Once they cooked long enough and became fluffy and absorbed the flavors of the sauce they were perfect.
I started out by prepping all the veggies. This is fun because it’s a good way to sneak in some extra veggies to your family’s diet… especially if this is a challange. I used the opportunity to throw in some parsnips since they are a favorite of mine!
You will assemble the prepped veggies, chicken thighs, seasonings and some flour in each baggie. This will all go into the freezer and the bulk of your work is done! The ingredient list I give you makes enough for two meals that will each serve about four (all four of us had enough for two bowls).
When you are ready to make this just thaw it overnight in the fridge and in the morning it will be so quick to pour it into the slow cooker along with a carton (4 cups) of chicken broth. That’s it!!! Less than 60 seconds and you know you will have a warm and healthy meal to feed the gang when you get home. Even if you have a busy sports night it will still be faster than going through the drive thru!
Checkout this other easy, delicious freezer meal here!!
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 - 1½ cups each (peeled and chopped to bite size as needed):
- yellow onion
- corn (I used frozen)
- peas (also frozen)
- ½ cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- These ingredients listed below are the amounts to make one meal:
- 4 cups chicken broth (for later)
- ½ cup heavy cream (for later)
- 1 pound dried gnocchi (I used a package from Target that was 17.6oz), for later
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with two tablespoons water (for later, optional)
- Prepare 2 gallon size freezer bags by labeling and propping open
- Cut chicken into bite sized chunks or leave whole and shred after cooking
- Add 1 pound of chicken to each freezer bag
- Add ½ of each vegetable, ¼ cup of flour, and half of each seasoning to each bag
- Seal and remove all air and shake to coat flour on ingredients evenly
- Place in fridge for up to 2 days or freezer for up to 6 months
- To prepare as a meal thaw one freezer bag overnight
- Place thawed contents in slow cooker along with with chicken broth
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8
- Shred chicken if desired
- Stir in cream, gnocchi and cornstarch mixture
- Cover and continue heating on high for 15-30 minutes or until gnocchi is cooked tender and cream is heated through and sauce is to desired thickness
Kitchen tools used:
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!