Want to know one of my all time, most favorite, best things ever to make in the slow cooker? I suppose you probably guessed it, a whole roasted chicken. Who can’t find at least a gazillion uses for roasted chicken? From eating the chicken itself as a meal with sides (and maybe some gravy?) to shredded up leftovers for tacos, or wraps or stir fry, making a whole chicken is a great way not only to cook up a delicious meal but to cook up several meals at once.
I’ll walk you through how simple it is to get a bird that looks (and I promise, also tastes!) this delicious. The only truly challenging part is getting it out of the slow cooker because it’s so tender and juicy it just wants to fall right off the bone.
Later this week I’m going to talk about the essential seasonings I think you should keep on hand, and one of them will be Beer Can Chicken Seasoning. It combines tons of delicious flavors and make meals like this really simple to put together. With this seasoning I created a 4 ingredients rub for the chicken. Then I made use of my favorite kitchen tool, my multi-cooker, to brown this up in one step but remember you can also use a skillet and then transfer to the slow cooker.
I let the chicken cook all day and then when it was done I removed it to “rest” for a bit while I stirred some minute rice into all the delicious broth and juices left behind in the slow cooker. This is a great way to add a side dish without making any extra mess!
Add your favorite veggie (I always keep some frozen ones on hand for those days when I’m in a time crunch!) and you have a simple but delicious dinner and most likely some leftovers to make even more dinners later.
Slow Cooker Whole Roasted Chicken
- Wash and pat dry chicken
- Whisk together canola oil, orange juice, beer can seasoning and paprika and brush all over bird
- Heat skillet or multi-cooker over medium high heat (or to about 400 degrees)
- Add chicken breast side down and let brown for about 4-6 minutes
- Flip over and transfer to slow cooker or switch multi-cooker to slow cook
- Add broth and then cover and cook on high for about 4 hours or low for about 8 or until chicken is fully cooked (165 degrees)
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and stir in rice
- Cover and return to high for 10-20 minutes or until rice is cooked and tender
Want to make part of this recipe up ahead of time to save time during the morning rush?
- Wash the chicken and brush with the seasoning blend
- Skip the browning and add the chicken to a large freezer bag
- Keep in fridge for 2 days or freezer for 2-3 months
- Thaw completely before cooking
- You can now brown it if desired or skip this step for even faster prep
What to make with the leftovers? How about these Southwest Chicken Quesadillas!!
Slow Cooker Gourmet is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. If you purchase a product through this link I will earn a small commission. As always, I only recommend products I use and love!