I decided I didn’t want to be tempted by having too many snacks around and my resolve had actually lasted a few days including through my last shopping trip. Now I’m sitting here eating stale tortilla chips and thinking I may have gone a bit overboard in my attempt at super healthy eating. There has to be some balance right? And since we had this healthy Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken for dinner I’m totally entitled to a handful of Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups as long as they are mini ones. Am I right?
Easy, healthy, and can even be fairly quick on a day where you remember at lunch time that you wanted to throw something in the slow cooker (provided you can run home of course!). This took 3 hours on high in my 3.5 quart crockpot.
I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts since that’s what I had on hand. Or at least what I had left after I had to throw away about half of what was in my freezer when it decided it would rather be unemployed. You could use bone-in and remove the bones or even boneless skinless chicken thighs would be good.
Mix up a super simple sauce with stuff you may even have on hand. You could mix up the sauce the night before and just throw it in the crock in the morning with the chicken and be out the door in no time.
- 1½ to 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- dash hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon corn starch dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- Place chicken in crock
- Mix together remaining ingredients in measuring cup or bowl
- Pour over top of chicken
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 until chicken is fully cooked
- Shred chicken with forks and return to crock and toss with sauce to fully coat
- Serve over rice or as desired